• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bonded rabbits become unbonded maisy is on baytril

BUBBLES

Mama Doe
Can young bonded rabbits (sisters ) become unbonded

the reason i ask is that maisy seems to be picking on daisy alot more
daisy will sit up in the top of her hutch all day or under their little stairs wot they have got in their shed . Daisy dont really comes down to eat with the other too or when she does go anywhere in the shed maisy will chaise her away their has bin alot of fur pulling going on and even mr sniff had a chase with daisy the other day (but i think he is just confussed)

can some one help plz

Last edited:
It could be hormonal? Are they spayed? I think it can happen even if they are, but it should help...

Is Daisy still in good condition and eating properly? If they are stopping her eating and drinking, it's not good :(

It could be hormonal? Are they spayed? I think it can happen even if they are, but it should help...

We thought it was hormonal(time of the year type thing)....but it seems worse this year...and yes both have been spayed.

Is Daisy still in good condition and eating properly? If they are stopping her eating and drinking, it's not good :(

Apart from losing her Winter Coat earlier than normal.:D Daisy is in good health. and she is still eating. I moved some food to where she was earlier and that soon disappeared.

Maybe you could give them two seperate food bowls in different places?

I've never had more than two bunnies, so I don't know if it is a problem with trios maybe? :?

Maybe you could give them two seperate food bowls in different places?

I've never had more than two bunnies, so I don't know if it is a problem with trios maybe? :?

They are not arguing over food, as they have sat next to each other for a brief moments and ate as normal, Im just hoping it hormonal and it will calm down.....I dont want to get to the point where i have to think about splittin them up....at this moment that still is a long way off.

:) If she's still being allowed to drink? and eat normally, I wouldn't worry - it's normal for a strict pecking order to be enforced with groups of rabbits. My 4 rabbit sisters go from grooming (establishing who grooms who is not affection) to chasing, mounting, nipping, fur-pulling occasionally. I was worried about Victoria last year, as she is obviously bottom of the heap, but after watching them I realised Petunia (top bunny) doesn't hurt her, and being part of the group, even if it's at the bottom, makes Victoria feel secure - she knows her place! I decided she'd be more stressed if I removed her from her group than she was playing bottom of the heap bunny. But keep an eye on things anyway. :)

I have just had a girl returned to me that was adopted from the rescue last April! Mum and Daughter, both spayed, suddenly started fighting!! Mum has a terrible sore head and face from the fight! This is why I always try to keep in boy girl pairs :? I will bond both girls with a boy now and hopefully they will be happier :)

Looks like we may have to split them. Maisy is still being a cowbag towards Daisy, but strangely she is the one who has come off worse. She has got some nicks to her ear. Appt with the Vets has been book.

I can only think that Daisy is fightin back, and Mr Sniffs is joinin, although i've not seen any evidence of this....

I dont really want to the seperate them, so i may try and split the shed in 2. so that they can still be together sort of.

I've had this happen twice and have had to remove one bun from the gourp as the bullying got so bad. It would really be a shame if you ahd to split these too as they are just soo cute together but if it is bad enough to be causing problems then you may have to do it xx

I dont really want to split them up but

maisy has got scabs on her behind and has got a hole in her ear she is going to the vets 2morrow

but maisy is the one bulling

Last edited:
Make sure you take them both to the vets, if it is bad you don't want to slpit them up at all, if you want to keep them together.

My Maisie and Beatrix will chase around the house, but have not hurt each other.

I wonder if its worth trying to rebond them again on neutral territory? Keep them on neutral territory for say like a week and then reintroduce them to a clean shed? Not sure it would work but worth a go?

Make sure you take them both to the vets, if it is bad you don't want to slpit them up at all, if you want to keep them together.

My Maisie and Beatrix will chase around the house, but have not hurt each other.

yep all 3 are going together to the vets

i would not of even thought about spiltting them up untill now because they did chase and pull furr out last year but that was it but this year seems to be much worse than last year u can see through the hole in masiys ear

I would suggest you go back to basics and start bonding them as if strangers. Take things slow, start bonding on neutral territory for short periods, add plesant experiences like food etc. Its worth a go as it would be a shame to split them up if they have got on before this. :?

:cry: we have split the shed up and put masiy on one side and the other too on the other side . Masiy can still sniff and see them they just cant get to each other

we will try them in our hall way 2morrow and see how things go

i did not really want to do this but i dont want maisy to get more hurt than wot she already is at the mo

i am going to try my best to get them all back together again as maisy and daisy are sisters :cry:

Back