• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time apart after spaying

debpayne

Young Bun
After we get Cookie spayed how long should we wait before we put her back in with Rolo (boy). I think you did tell me on the phone Hilda...sorry i can;t remember what you said. :oops: Too much going on!! Also if anyone can share their experiences of rebonding after spaying, I'd love to hear. Rolo and cookie are in adjoining runs and I let them have a while in each others runs (while the other one isn;t in there) so they are still able to smeel each other.
Cheers Deb

I would leave her about 10 days or so to get over the spay deb before trying her with Rolo again xxx

Thanks Phil, I thought it would be much longer than that. After the pregnancy scare (been 5 days after building nest and no babies)..I can't wait to get her done.
Cheers
Deb :D

Thanks Phil, I thought it would be much longer than that. After the pregnancy scare (been 5 days after building nest and no babies)..I can't wait to get her done.
Cheers
Deb :D

Oh thats good, hopefully it is just a phantom it is begining to look that way!

I still have eerything back but as you can tell I am eager to get them back together as soon as possible..after Cookie is spayed of course.

Cheers
Deb

I would wait longer. She will almost be healed up but I wouldn't risk it wait three weeks to a month. This is what my vet told me if I was going to put them back together. They can sniff through the fence be real close but don't let him get to her for at least that long to be on the safe side.

My vet told me 8 weeks but after her 10 day check she was healed and her hormones had calmed down loads (no more nesting, reduced stamping etc) so I took the advice of the rescue and went after 2 weeks and she bonded with no problems.

See how she is once she's been spayed a couple of weeks, if she's healed and happy then try it.

Thanks everyone, I'll play it by ear and see how she is, many thanks for your replies. I guess each rabbit is different in healing time too..:D

If we have rabbits that were previously bonded we always take both to the vet and they stay together, the one being operated on will recover quicker when they are with their partner than when they are separated.

I am not sure on your situation here and why they were separated, however if you are rebonding them I would wait 7 - 10 days.

Back