• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for new rabbit owner

sretosf

Warren Scout
It's been many years since I've owned a rabbit, but I've ordered two baby lionheads from a family that breed rabbits, for my daughters.

Having found this site I think I should have adopted rescue rabbits - there are some lovely animals available here, and we have a lot of space - anyway what's done is done, but before I do anything else I would like some advice from the experts.

My intentions at the moment are to:

- keep them indoors until they are vaccinated against myxi and VHD (and the vaccines have taken affect)

- keep them in a wendy house converted to a hutch after that, with a linked big run

- feed them hay mixed with fresh veg + rabbit food

- get vet recommended by RWA

Anything else I should be doing?

What sex are you expecting?

If it's a boy-girl you'll need to set up facilities to seperate them until the boy is neutered. Boy-boy can be a little risky so it's important you book them in for neutering as soon as the vet thinks they're old enough to prevent fighting.

The setup sounds great :)

When you get them, ask what food they are on. You'll need to feed them the same diet and then ny changes you want to make you'll need to do gradually :)

Tamsin

Most important thing with baby bunnies leaving their mum is to carry on feeding what the breeder has fed them, and give plenty of hay. They will need 4 meals a day, and no veg at all (including grass) unless the breeder has already given them some. Assuming the breeder hasn't, do not give veg until the babies are about 4 months old, and then only give them about an inch square of greens or a strand of grass, gradually increasing the amount over a fortnight, to give their stomach a chance to build up sufficient quantity of digestive bacteria. The same goes for changing brands of dry food - mix it in with their regular food and slowly increase over a fortnight. :)

My lot live in a playhouse and an attached run and love it. I recommend putting vinyl floring down, it makes cleaning out very quick.

Welcome to RU :wave:

I'd recommend encouraging them to use a litter tray from the start, it makes cleaning out much much easier. They will usually pick a corner to wee and poo in, and you can use this to get them to do it in a litter tray by placing the tray there and putting some of their poo and wee (soak some on a kitchen roll sheet) in it. Hopefully they'll soon get the message that that's where they are expected to go. Use wood based litter (outside I use shavings but they are messy for inside) topped with hay as they like to munch whilst they go.

Start saving up for neutering if you decide to do this, obviously a boy/girl will need doing to avoid babies but if you have girls around 80% of unspayed does will go on to get uterine cancer so spaying is recommended to prevent that. And boys will fight if left unneutered.

Sounds like you've done a good bit of research and things are oon the right track :D
One thing I would do with regards to your daughter is to start teaching her about naturalk rabbit behaviour and getting her used to the idea that she prpobably won't be able to pick them up, but can sit with them on her lap and stroke them gently. Children really want to "cuddle" rabbits and its actually really difficult for them to handle them. None of my children who range up to 8 years old are able to pick up or carry the rabbits but they've learnt to get down on their level with them and give them ear rubs and stroke them the right way etc. You don't say how old your girls are so ignore me if they are mcuh older and this is not relevant :D

There urine can look like milk!
I got a fright the other day when I saw one of my bunnies pee but this forum reassured me that it was ok.

Just letting you know incase you panic like me.

Well I collected the rabbits today - they are just under nine weeks old - a male and a female. I will be getting them both neutered. What is the longest I can leave them together pre-neutering / the earliest I can get them neutered? (Obviously I want to keep them together as long as possible).

Also the care sheet I was given by the breeder suggests they have a slightly strange diet - lots of hay, mixed feed and a little mixed veg (which I expected) but also twice a week one of Honey Stix, Cornflakes, Rice Krispies, bananas or Weetabix. Would you please confirm that I would be best to just stick to the hay and mixed feed until they are 4 months old? I will slowly switch from the mixed feed they are currently on to a pellet one in couple of weeks time (been told this ensures they don't just pick out the bits they like).

Sorry to ask so many questions it's just that from want I've read baby rabbits are quite fragile!

i would definately not give them the honey stix or cereal, rabbits have a very delicate digestive system so just stick to the dry food lots of hay and small amounts of veg for now.

im not exactly sure how young a bun becomes fertile but i think you can have the male neutered from about 12 weeksand the female about 5/6 months depending on the breed

Aww. You're lucky! ^-^

Your new babies can be neutured/spayed at different times. The male will be first most easy to do, as vets have to wait until the testicles drop [this makes it easier] and this occurrs from 3 1/2 months of age - apparently. But most vets want to wait until 5 months. Females rabbits are ready to be spayed once they're sexually mature - which can be as early as 4 months. But again, vets often wait until they are 6 months. Also, your rabbits might need to be 're-bonded' after they have both been fixed, because sometimes they don't recognise one another due to different smells.

As for the treats recommended... I'm pretty sure you can take those out of their diet if you choose to. I've heard that honey stick type treats are bad for rabbits. A small bit of abana is fine, as long as it is small... I'm not too sure about the rest. But I don't believe a rabbit will suffer for NOT having those food items listed. A rabbit needs as natural a diet as possible, which you're prepared for in giving a bunny a hay based diet.

Hi congratulations on your new additions :D
Definitely get them checked at the vets soon and get them booked in to be neutered/spayed when you can ;)
This post i did a while back about neutering/spaying http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537 you may find other posts in that section helpful as we all took a topic and wrote a post for different subjects.
Id definitely agree with the previous posts and leave out the treats suggested. Stick to hay and food they are used to. Dont worry about asking all the questions..we all had to learn too so we dont mind answering posts ;)

Well all is going well - they seemed a bit nervous on Sunday (were shaking when handled), but one of them is very relaxed now (licks me when on my lap!) and the other is coming around.

Must say I can't believe how much hay they eat - I never thought my daughter's rabbits would be so fascinating :p

Anyway must sort out a vet's appt for this weekend to get them vaccinated!

Back