• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

- reused collar which has had her own poo stuck to it!

my Poppy had to go back to the vets again for a 5th lot this time staples.

I think she either streched up to see what was in the toilet bowl in the bath room. as that was where she was when I found what had happend to her wound. or she sat in the bath room. and tryed to lick her self clean and licked the dryed glue off her wound .
I don't know exacly what happened. but all I know is she has had staples put in her this time round nothing else was used just staples.
and guess what else ?

the same collar that she had took off this morrning when i went to see the vet at 9.50am today (Friday).
it was put back on her. and it was already covered in her own poo from this last week when she had it on her. I went back to the vets as a emergance case at 12.00pm just after that .
i think she was a little buisy as she had not just me to deal with.

but to put back on poppy the collar that she had on. dueing this last week which I have to say was covered in her own poo and maybe wee stains to.
they were on the outside of her collar .

but to reuse it again around her head not hygineic at all realy .:(
the vet did not even give it a wipe with a cloth and disinfectant befor putting it back on her again the vet first of all did this:

1. got it out of the bin in which she put poppys collar in after this morrnings appointment with her.

2 . after putting in those staples to seal her wound up again. she put this out of the bin collar back on poppy again .

3 no cloth and / or disinfectant spray was used to clean things like this up befor the collar went back on her. :(

this is unhygenic my mum was not to happy. with the fact that my vet did not clean the collar up first befor sticking it back on her again .
and i was not to pleased either to find that the vet had stuck her old now reused collar back on her again .

when she could of either cleaned it up quicky or given Poppy a new colar in the skirt desighn again .

not good vetanary practis . :(

what do you all think of this a reused collar ?

Find another vet. Is there any reason why you can't remove the collar a couple of times a day to clean it as well? Or are they tricky to use?

-

also if my vet is reading this on rabbitrehome.co.uk

do the right thing please. when I see you on Tuesday this comming week and either clean it up for poppy. or give my poppy a new skirt , bonet (collar) .;)

Collar

Remember you are paying for the vets services - if you're not happy (and I can understand why) then tell her!

But you could take it off and get someone to hold Poppy while you clean the collar. That way she won't get to the stitches/staples. When he said you weren't to remove it he was just wanting to make sure she wouldn't have a chance to get at them, but if someone holds the bun for a few minutes then there shouldn't be a problem. I still think you should get another vet.. Perhaps another vet will be able to sort her so the the wound doesn't re-open. I've never heard of this happening so often. Poor bunny, and poor you having all the stress of the situation.

-

Poppy is not that easy to hold as she wriggles a lot in your arms when you try to clean any thing of her .
she's a difficult bunny some times to.
and i think if i took her collar off she might not let me put it back on her again. or even my mum. as it would proberly need 2 people to hold her down whilest the other person (me) puts the collar back on her .
my mum has very little of exsperience with a rabbit and does not know a lot about them realy. like i do. but she try's anyway to be helpful with poppy and me in any of the care that's needed.

my mum told me she use to have a Guina Pig when she was little. but as for a bunny she never had 1. so has little experience with a rabbit.

I got my exsperience from when I use to go to a agicultral collage where i live years ago now.and use to deal with the rabbits their so that's how i got my nolage and experience of rabbits from.:)

it was a collage called Bracken Hurst you may of herd of it or not. but that's where i went to do an animal care course and horse care course caurs i did that to.:)

but like i said Poppy is a difficult rabbit to deal with (hold ,catch even ect...)
she was not handeled hardley at all realy when she was 8 weeks old. as she was wild like. when I first had her home from white post farm last year 2006.
i don't think the staff their did much of the handeling the babys thing that they ort to of done .
it's kind of hard to explain this. but Poppy has had a difficult start to life and any handeling that was given to her. was from me and the little bit of help from my family mainly my dad. helpt me with handeling Poppy to start with.
then I took over it being as i was getting more confident with handeling her .

so you see she's a difficult bunny to deal with as I have said above.

also to swap vets. I think would be impossable as the vets I go to are near to me in fact only a mile up the road from where i live. so if Poppy has had an accedent or like this today an open wound again it only takes me a few minits to get their .

the 1 my family Dog went to is in Ruddington which is more than a mile away from where I live now . (our dog died in 2001 by the way).
and if any thing happened to poppy. It would take me longer to get their than it does at this vet place i go to here..

I might change vets but I need to be able to get to at least 1 of them with in time in an emergency thing .

i say she has her vacceines done at the 1 wehere i currently go and she's fine then.

I have been told by my brothers girlfriend who did use to use this vet place that appently the vetanary place. don't userly deal with Rabbits as they mainly deal with Dogs and Cats .
maybe it's because they don't get enough rabbits in their I think's the case.
although on their appointment cards they give out to you when you have anappointment . their is a Dog ,Cat,Rabbit on the front of it .
so i think it's the case they don't get many rabbits in .

although today a woman obverly from a Rabbit sancturary came in with 4 lots of Bunnys that were once kept as childrens pets i think some of them were any way as she was telling another woman in the waiting area of the sergery today.
and this woman went on about how pet shops should not even have Bunnys in them to sell to chilldren and she went on saying that the children get board of the Rabbit and they end up giving the animal up and she did go on to say that Rabbits don't like even being picked up and cuddled and have a lot of fuss over them .

i know this bit above has nothing to do with my topic but i had to fit in or id be making tomany threads on the forums.
sorry . :)

What about taking it off and feeding her some yummy veg/pellets to keep her mouth busy while you give it a quick scrub and dry?

There is absolutely no way you can not clean the collar - why didn't you clean it whilst it was off when she was in the bathroom? It shouldn't be covered in wee and poo in the first place to be honest :? But the advice to change your vet was given in the other thread where you said their treatment of Poppy wasn't good so maybe you should start thinking about it?

Back