• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the Banana Fairies came!!!

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
The bunnies had a visit from the Banana Fairies last night (aka Neil and Maria)
This is what they thought:

Straight in!
100_4195.jpg

Yum!
100_4198.jpg

100_4205.jpg

Yep - they can come again!!!
100_4208.jpg

Flower is not too sure
100_4213.jpg

House bunnies enjoying their pressies too
100_4222.jpg

sorry Neil - fresh out of sun here now :cry: a big dirty cloud has descended and it is now p*ssing it down again :roll:
They had a few tropical hours of sunshine and banana though! and it went down very well! :D

Gavin rarely wears trousers! :lol:

So cute!
But I have to ask...there are loads of poeple here who feed buns Banana, I was always lead to believe they were bad for bunnies and should never be fed?!:? I guess I was told wrong then?

Awww they look liked they really enjoyed them, and Neil and Maria where do you get so many bananas from??? :shock: :lol:

i thought banana wasnt good either, but i think its ok as a treat.... :D

So cute!
But I have to ask...there are loads of poeple here who feed buns Banana, I was always lead to believe they were bad for bunnies and should never be fed?!:? I guess I was told wrong then?

Fruit is naturally quite sugary so shouldn't be given loads, vegetables are a much better option. Mine would get a tiny bit of apple once every few months but Ben hasn't ever had any - not many buns would come across a banana tree in the wild!

So cute!

I thought that it was the same as all fruit, that it is ok as a treat... This is the first time they've had banana (I think they were in heaven! :lol: ), they occasionally get apple, but other than that it's: hay, A&P, greens/other veg & small amounts of treat hay/grass/dandelions... :D

The banana issue. Ok, hands up. We feed ours very cheaply. We have a greengrocer/fruiterer just around the corner from us who leaves big boxes of the outside leaves of spring greens, cauliflower, cabbage etc out most days so when we get low we just grab a box no charge. Anything even remotely "iffy" goes straight in the bin. I got to up to 8 car boots on a saturday and sunday and at one is a chap who works in a fruit market. We started off by buying 8 bananas for 50p, graduating to a carrier bag full for a quid. We now buy them by the box for £2 :shock: ! I've just counted them :)shock: ) and this week we got 82 large bananas, though sometimes with smaller ones we've had over 130. We supplement this with carrots from Tesco or Asda (approx £2 a week) and their sacks of dried food which we order specially in and are the cheapest we can get, although still with comparable fibre content to Burgess Super etc and also pick carrier bags full of grass from the car boots as and when available.
So to summarise, ours will get a cup of dried food,and two from half a banana each, half a carrot and a handful of greens and naturally copious amounts of hay. I wouldn't consider any of ours to be unhealthy or overweight, they usually go for the banana first so the rest of the food "washes" them down ie sugar is not sticking to their teeth in the same way it would if they ate it last.
I'm telling you all this because someone mentioned recently that it probably wasn't a good idea to admit feeding bananas every day to which I agreed. Every time we visit another forum member they do and will continue to get bananas from us largely because we get them so cheaply.
If anyone thinks I am compromising the health of my rabbits by giving them bananas I invite sensible debate :D .

Neil

I just love the teeth marks that they leave! :lol:
I too will be investing in bananas for my lot as treats :D I just wish I could get them for the price that you do Neil! :lol:

Back