• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for lop ears to heal??

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies seem very bonded now but during the process there were a few mean bunny fights between Darcy and Annie. Annie (uppy ears) ear scar is all healed but the scratches to DArcy's ears are still there. They are clean and not infected. They keep scabbing up but Beatrix picks the scabs off with her teeth. I keep trying to put aloe vera gel on them the Darcy scratches it of....or Beatrix licks it off! :roll: I just want to check that this is okay and if there is something else I should do? I did take him to the vet when it happened and he said they were fine. But it just seems so long for his loppy ears to heal?

Darcy is eating, poohing and relaxing just as normal - no signs of pain.

Fivers scabbed over repeatedly for about 8 weeks but it took months for his 'holes' to disappear where Milo bit right through them :( poor lad could have worn earrings :roll:

Fivers scabbed over repeatedly for about 8 weeks but it took months for his 'holes' to disappear where Milo bit right through them :( poor lad could have worn earrings :roll:

Thanks Sooz22, that makes me feel better. Its such a worry when they don't heal very quick as I worry i'm not doing something i should be! :D

mine had the same thing, took a little slice off her ear. i dunno if this was right, but i made up a warm salt water solution (sea salt NOT table salt). then used a cottonwool pad to clean the area. think it can help speed up healing time and kill germs. feel free to correct me, but sharkey's ear heals really fast

Back