• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox walking down city road 10.00 pm

raine

Warren Veteran
My house is right in the city of Oxford and I am 5 minutes walking distance from the centre. A fox was walking outside my house down the centre of the road this week at 10.00pm at night. I understand they are living in an elderly neighbours overgrown garde close to me. Luckily my buns are house rabbits but its scary to know they are walking about so early right in town.

We see them on roads quite near to us anytime from 10 pm throught to 6 in the morning..we are lucky in having dogs ..also our neighbours have dogs..which keep them away from our property..but it is scary to see them being so bold:shock:

And to add we are now having buzzards coming over the estate very low indeed..these birds are huge and could easily take a bun:(

I have only encountered ones at 3 or 4am in the morning when I used to have a social life and was coming home:roll: I guess they are so used to humans they come out at any time.

I see one in my garden often at the moment- at all times of the day- 8am, 1pm, 4pm etc etc. I wondered if there was something wrong with it because it is around so often, but I think it has just become so used to people that it has no fear...also desperate for food as it is cub season.

A couple of weeks ago Audrey and I went outside at about 3.30pm and she ran to the bottom of the garden with me a few feet behind and was about 4ft from one sat outside my summer house grooming itself :shock: I was so shocked I screamed and it ran off it was so terrified to see me.

The vixen has a baby and I've seen her carrying it and baby running around.
Often I can be looking out the window and will see one curled up in the border.

Please everyone be very careful, and do not believe you don't have foxes as I once thought :cry:

I forgot to say that last weekend I went behind the summer house and a fox was sound asleep on top of a mound of grass/plant clippings. I got within 2ft of it, i thought it was dead...it didn't wake up until I clapped my hands!

I forgot to say that last weekend I went behind the summer house and a fox was sound asleep on top of a mound of grass/plant clippings. I got within 2ft of it, i thought it was dead...it didn't wake up until I clapped my hands!

Thats scarey:shock: :shock: :shock:

I saw a fox walk through our garden around lunch time twice this year. They are not shy at all. In Germany I never saw a fox in our garden or in town, they have not adapted to digging through people's rubbish yet. But they are fairly safe in the countryside, no fox hunting etc., and they seem to find enough food outside the towns.

I live in central london and every night the foxes are out. It does sound scarey as they always sound like their being killed - that wailing!!:shock: At first my new girl buns were terrified and i had to sit with them for ages till they calmed down and realised it was outside and mummywouldn't let it near them. Darcy is used to it and being house bun all his life is more secure i think. The girls seems more used to it now and hardly react to the fox wailing. I am so glad I don't keep any buns outside though - I really couldn't do it!! :shock:

I saw a fox walk through our garden around lunch time twice this year. They are not shy at all. In Germany I never saw a fox in our garden or in town, they have not adapted to digging through people's rubbish yet. But they are fairly safe in the countryside, no fox hunting etc., and they seem to find enough food outside the towns.

Their confidence is amazing! My first night I looked out and they were just walking really slowly across the road!! Not even trying to hide!

We have foxes about, and they are very bold... they do steer clear of the dogs though, so don't come into the garden much :?
I have raised the fencing around the bunny's run to 8ft now (they are never in in unsupervised anyway) and I only let the fosters into their run when I am in the garden, or can see them through the french windows (which are kept open). All hutches have bolts too - can't take any chances.
Jill - Buzzards are spreading east... they were, until recently, predominantly in Wales and the west. So, people in the mids/east - it is a good idea to keep your eye out for them, even if you have not traditionally seen them about. (They are a lot larger than kestrel, tend to circle in the air high up and their wing tips are usually pointed up a bit.)

I was home about 2pm the other week and saw a fox in the field next to our house. Thankfully not being too near the town they're very timid foxes - I just have to sneeze in my bedroom and they'll rocket off as fast as they can go :lol:

I've never seen a fox in my garden, but I know they do visit cos I find stinky fox poops on my yard :mrgreen:

I'm only about a mile and a half outside Nottingham city centre, so I'm surprised I don't see more. Especially considering that there is a very well-fed family of pheasants living nearby, which would be easy pickings for a fox.

My Dad and I were talking the other day about how we see alot more foxes about than we used to, anyone think this could be a side effect of the fox hunting ban?

No...I would have thought they were more likely to be driven into towns when hunting was still going on, not now. Habitat destruction perhaps?

The more rubbish people throw on the streets or put just in bags and not in secure bins, the easier it is for foxes to find food. Why should they bother to hunt animals, if it is much easier to just collect food in towns.

My Dad and I were talking the other day about how we see alot more foxes about than we used to, anyone think this could be a side effect of the fox hunting ban?

Nothing to do with the ban, its urban encroachment. We are building more and more on open countryside and greenbelt plus urban foxes have a better chance of survival due to living off scraps instead of having to hunt. Which means their litters are more likely to survive the first year than their rural relatives.
Did anyone see the chip shop family on Springwatch?:D

Oh and I actually see alot less now im not living in London! Which is sad because I do miss watching their mischievous selfs!

But are they really better off in a city?
The fox I keep seeing (the vixen) is so thin I find myself feeling quite sorry for her (I recognize her cos she has a funny shaped tail.) In our area we have proper bins (I guess most people do now!) so they'd have to be lucky for someone to have an overflowing bin?

Back