• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny eyesight + depth perception

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Hello again :)

There's something I've noticed about Kitten (babby lionhead) which I'm not sure if I should be concerned about:

When she comes out or is looking at something she will move her head up and down quite frequently. Is this just because she's still quite nervous or is it her gaining depth perception? Or perhaps poor eyesight??

My boy Shadow never did this, but I know all buns are different and he's a very confident bun anyway which is why I ask if it might be because she's still wary?

She's otherwise very happy and always exploring and binkying.. Just wondered what people thought of this?

No she's not - she has dark eyes which is why I'm confused.. She's not going side to side either it's up and down o_O

Penny is scanning things with her eyes, too. She does not have pink eyes, but some of her brothers and sisters do, so she may have inherited bad eyesight. She also tried to climb up a 10 ft wall a few times. :lol:

Hello again :)

There's something I've noticed about Kitten (babby lionhead) which I'm not sure if I should be concerned about:

When she comes out or is looking at something she will move her head up and down quite frequently. Is this just because she's still quite nervous or is it her gaining depth perception? Or perhaps poor eyesight??

My boy Shadow never did this, but I know all buns are different and he's a very confident bun anyway which is why I ask if it might be because she's still wary?

She's otherwise very happy and always exploring and binkying.. Just wondered what people thought of this?

Rabbits have relatively poor NEAR vision. So in order to identify a near object they move their head up and down. This gives the receptors in Buns brain the message that the object is moving. Moving objects are easier to identify :)

The 'up and down' head movement is called 'tracking'

Janex :)

Ahh excellent, that explains it :) I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign of disease or something as it does look like she's quite 'special' when she's doing it :lol:

Bobby our REW boy scans and now that i can compare Megans head movement to a known 'scanner' I realise she does it too. She is also dark eyed so at first i thought it may be EC related neurological damage:

02-06-07_1521.jpg

One of my rabbits, Elsie scans from side to side too her eyes are brown however in natural light they often look reddy coloured too. In addition when we first got her whenever she came out her cage she would move her head up and down quite a lot which reduced with time, she doesn't do it now. However when she went on a 'long weekend' to my parents she did it there too at first but then stopped as she got used to her surroundings. My other bun never did any of this :lol:

Bobby our REW boy scans and now that i can compare Megans head movement to a known 'scanner' I realise she does it too. She is also dark eyed so at first i thought it may be EC related neurological damage:

02-06-07_1521.jpg

Scanning is 'side to side' head movements but Jocelyn's Bun is Tracking ie 'up and down' head movements :)

Janex

I know....I just wanted to add my 2pence worth....sorry:oops:

Its a recently discovered phenomena to me :roll:

Awwwww I just wasn't sure if everyone realised Jocelyn meant up and down head movements :oops: Sorry, wasnt meaning to come across as a smart bottom :oops:

I am feeling quite dizzy now with all this talk of side-to-side and up-and-down......:lol: :lol:

Janex

I'm surprised Kitten isn't dizzy with all of the bobbing up and down she does!! It is quite cute though [now I know it's not some horrible illness :lol: ]

Awwwww I just wasn't sure if everyone realised Jocelyn meant up and down head movements :oops: Sorry, wasnt meaning to come across as a smart bottom :oops:

I am feeling quite dizzy now with all this talk of side-to-side and up-and-down......:lol: :lol:

Janex

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back