• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny cooing!!!

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Hi there....havnt been on here for some time.

Can anyone answer me a question???? One of my buns, Jessie, seemed a little off colour so I took her to the vet on Wednesday, he couldnt see anything apparently wrong as all her vitals were fine so I have to monitor her for a few days and take her back if Im still worried, the problem was that she was startled by my hubby the other day and slipped on a log roll causing her to fall over on to her side, she then wouldnt eat her pellet feed, anyway the vet gave me science recovery to force feed her every 3 hours which I have been doing, but as she, for some reason seems nervous of both me and my husband I havent wanted to stand watching her too much so decided to set up my camcorder so keep an eye on her, this has showed that although she doesnt seem interested in eating her usual pellet feed she is eating hay little and often, but only if we are not around!!!! she isnt her usual bouncy self but she is eating hay, drinking, pooing etc she just seems very VERY nervous, which isnt like her, we have noticed something else though although is has only happened a few times.........when her bunny mate Petey, approaches her sometimes she makes odd noises at him, the only way i can describe it is it sounds like a pidgeon cooing type of noise. does anyone know what this is, I have searched the internet and some sites suggest it is becuase she is happy and often accompanies being stroked or tickled, but if this is the case, why is she making the noise to Petey????

Can anyone offer any explanation to her sudden change in behaviour from being a bouncy confident bunny to a very nervous one??

Hi there....havnt been on here for some time.

Can anyone answer me a question???? One of my buns, Jessie, seemed a little off colour so I took her to the vet on Wednesday, he couldnt see anything apparently wrong as all her vitals were fine so I have to monitor her for a few days and take her back if Im still worried, the problem was that she was startled by my hubby the other day and slipped on a log roll causing her to fall over on to her side, she then wouldnt eat her pellet feed, anyway the vet gave me science recovery to force feed her every 3 hours which I have been doing, but as she, for some reason seems nervous of both me and my husband I havent wanted to stand watching her too much so decided to set up my camcorder so keep an eye on her, this has showed that although she doesnt seem interested in eating her usual pellet feed she is eating hay little and often, but only if we are not around!!!! she isnt her usual bouncy self but she is eating hay, drinking, pooing etc she just seems very VERY nervous, which isnt like her, we have noticed something else though although is has only happened a few times.........when her bunny mate Petey, approaches her sometimes she makes odd noises at him, the only way i can describe it is it sounds like a pidgeon cooing type of noise. does anyone know what this is, I have searched the internet and some sites suggest it is becuase she is happy and often accompanies being stroked or tickled, but if this is the case, why is she making the noise to Petey????

Can anyone offer any explanation to her sudden change in behaviour from being a bouncy confident bunny to a very nervous one??

Is she spayed? If not her change in behaviour could be hormonal. The 'cooing' sound is what some Does do when they *think* they are pregnant and want to warn the Buck they are not receptive to his 'attention' so to speak :oops:

If she is spayed then is she being bullied by Petey? This can cause stress and in turn a behaviour change/inappetance.

Did you Vet check Jessie's teeth, going off a certain food type and a change in behaviour can indicate early dental problems.

Janex :)

Hi
Yes the vet did check Jessies teeth there were some very early signs of a few spurs but he saw no signs of soreness or injury to the mouth or tongue.

No Jessie isnt spayed, something im hoping to have done soon, if anything Jessie was the one pestering Petey and climbing on top of him etc before her behaviour change, she isnt a bunny to stand for being bullied :lol:
Petey I think gets a bit hen pecked by her but they are inseperable and hes being quite sweet as although he loves his food ive noticed him a few times nudging food towards her for her to eat :) her appetite seems to be slowly returning to normal as last night I noticed on my camcorder that she was eating some pellet food and she was munching on hay about every 10-15 mins

Back