• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yalta has a Runny Nose ... Dilema Now..

Mart

Mama Doe
Yalta - our black ND - hasn`t been herself at all today - she has been sitting quietly in the corner.

She has had her pellets - but no hay, and she hasn't been drinking.

We've just noticed within the last hour that she has a slight discharge from her nose - and she is cleaning it maybe slightly more than usual.

We've syringed some water (including some critical care) which she actually took real easily - she ended up licking the end as a pressed it - and has taken maybe 4 mls.

We're assuming she has some sort of infection (pastuerella ?), so we're going to take her to the vets tomorrow morning.

As she has eaten, and now drank, we're hoping it will be OK waiting till the morning - there is no real emergency service to call on out here, so were are really stuck with waiting till 9.00am.

Martin

Last edited:
Thanks Elve - we were wondering that too, she has been making a slight 'clicking' noise when eating, and sometimes just when breathing - the clicking sounds more like saliva than a physical sound.

We've felt around her mouth - and there aren't any sensitive bits that she reacts too.

She has had what we thought were teeth probs before, but they have only lasted a day or so, and the vet couldn't find anything (he could only really have a limited check without putting her under though) - as they only lasted a couple of days, we put it down to getting something stuck in her teeth, but maybe it is symptomatic of an ongoing problem.

She is just eating some bits of hay now though :) - must be the 'sugar' hit from the Critical Care.

I have a dilema now though......

I have an important meeting first thing in the morning, now the buns always take priority, but this particular meeting is a biggie.

Could I wait until the afternoon to take her to the vets ? - or should I really get there first thing ?

Martin

Could be snuffles - my bun made a rattling sound when he had it and it developed very quickly.:(
I hope your bun is OK

She has just eaten a load of hay, and has had a drink herself from her bowl, and she is much more lively than she was earlier.

The only thing that still raises a concern - is the nose discharge, she is cleaning her face quite a bit here now (not just her nose - her whole head and ears) - I cant see a lot of discharge - and it looks cleaner than it was.

She isn't sneezing, and her eyes seem clean too - maybe it was just something stuck in her mouth / nose (we were getting to the end of her food, so it may have been quite dusty)

We'll see how she is later and tomorrow - we'll give her a bit more critical care before bed incase that is why she is a bit more with it now.

thanks for the vibes

Martin

If you're worried tommorow speak to your vet, you might be able to drop her off on your way and pick her up on the way back from the meeting :)

Tam

If you're worried tommorow speak to your vet, you might be able to drop her off on your way and pick her up on the way back from the meeting :)

Tam

Thanks Tamsin,

unfortunately it's not quite that simple (never is, is it ?) - my meeting is on site at 8am - an hour before the surgey opens - so dropping her off isn't an option :(

Pam can't drive, so she can't take her (its about 12 miles away) - which only leaves a taxi as an emergency option, whcih we may have to take.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Mart, i hope you managed to sort Yalta out with the vtes one way or the other. How is she doing today?

I think if she's eating and drinking, she doesn't need urgent vet attention, so don't feel guilty for going to your meeting :)

My nethie Tia had occasional, slight creamy discharge from her nose. I wonder if it's just to do with the shape of their face, slightly squashed, as the rescue I got her from had it checked out by the vet and there was nothing apparently wrong with her....although she suddenly died a year later, so who knows? May be best to get a swab analysed by the lab, just to be sure - should cost around £30 I think?

Oscar and Polo had exactly the same symptoms, just a runny nose, although the discharge from Polos nose was a little green. They are on a long course of Baytrill and are on pro-biotics and it seems to be clearing up. I really hope they get better soon, its awful not knowing what is wrong with your bun.

Hey - thanks for the comments,

Well she seems as right a rain again today - go figure, the confusion of being a bunny slave eh ?!

Her nose is dry, and there is no evidence of any discharge at all today, apart from a little dried fur from yesterday. She is eating / drinking / stamping etc as normal again too.

I think we will watch this space and see what happens - as there is nothing really to get a swab of at the moment I'm not sure if it is worth taking her to the vets ?

We think she maybe got something stuck either up her nose, or in her teeth, or that the dust from the remnants of food possibly got up her nose (we dont put the dust in her dish - but the pellets could well have picked up some dust from the Science Selective pack).

She is back to eating hay too (she gets through quite a bit of it).

Thanks again for the comments, fingers crossed it was just a short term 'glitch', but we will definitely keep a very close eye on her, especially her nose, any sign of discharge again, and she will be straight down the vets,

Thanks again

Martin

Back