• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matilda has been home 4 days

Okay so as you may know im a newbie, 2 questions

1. bun has a tiny (i mean tiny) bit of matted fur in the inside corner of her eye, her eye is so totally fine, i think its just normal eye goo! but shes not used to us enough to let me get it off! i can get to it and she closes her eye but then she fidgets too much to let me get rid of it ... what should i do? leave it and then when shes used to me just wipe it off, or make her stay still - like a vet would!!

2. i was stroking her in her run, so that she gets used to me and she nosed my hand about 3 times, I thought she was playing, then she bit me .. first time! she didnt bite me hard and she didnt break the skin, but what does this mean? Simply "leave me alone" or "i hate that" or is it playing?

A little nip (in a young rabbit esp) can just be playful, however, sometimes they can nip too hard and not realise. My book tells me (and can i stress that i have never done this as it sounds weird lol! not sure the sound i would make would come out right either! lol) that your meant to squeal at them if they nip too hard as this is what nother rabbit would do. if my bunnies are naughty, i jut tell them 'NO' if a firm, deep voice nd i can tell you - they definitely know what it means!!

As for the eye goo, keep a check on it thats its nothing series and just a one off bit of goo. If i need to do something to my bunnies that they wont like i usually kneel on the carpet and sit them between my knees to held them in place as this frees up both of my hands. You could ask someone to hold bunny for you or wrap him in a towel so he cant wriggle and scratch you whilst you bathe the eye with some damp cotton wool. You need to be gentle around the eye area an dont use dry cotton wool as the it will be uncomfortable if you catch his eye cos of the dryness of the cotton wool and you may get some fibres in his eye.

Hope that helps!

if she is nudging your hand then she is wanting fuss and nose rubs;) :D :D she lightly nipped you because you didn't do what you were told when she demanded attention;) or you stopped the nose rubs and she wanted more, or she nipped you because you were in her way :lol: rabs also nip each other when one is in the way, its rabbit communication:D

If you can, give her nose rubs with one hand and whilst she is relaxed, have some cotton wool lightly soaked with warm water to bathe the eye that has the problem;) but if it continues, it sounds like she may need checking out by a vet:)

Back