• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Patch

icklep360

Warren Scout
HELP Buster has a bald patch under his ear! He hasn't had any injections or any thing so I wonder if this is ringworm?:shock:

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

There is a little hair still there, but I didn't see this this morning, but as the weather had changed I had put some straw in to his sleeping compartment. He had been laying on a towel for the last couple of weeks cause it was so hot.

I'll call the vet and get him booked in tomorrow but has anyone any ideas. Can't see anything else on him:(

It's not just a dramatic moult is it? However, if it is ringworm, the vet will give you stuff to sort it out. Floss had it last Summer and she had medicine which she had to have in three cycles with a week off in between each. Totally cleared up.:)

He doesn't seem to be moulting at all, hardly losing anything when he's getting brushed.

And the skin underneath just looks normal. I feel really paranoid, I read ringworm is a fungal infection that can be caused by his environment. I've been out and re-cleaned his hutch, thrown his straw and hay out, and opened new stuff.

The best thing is to get the vet to do a culture to find out, then you'll be sure. Apart from the meds Floss had, I was given some really strong cleaning fluid called F10 with which to clean the hutch and run. It is used by the vet throghout the surgery and hospital area and kills everything! It is a fungal infectionand the skin doesn't always appear flaky(Floss's looked normal, I wanted the test done just in case and must admit that even the vet was surprised when the result was positive for ringworm!). Bournville, her hutchmate never caught it from her...

Be extra careful about washing your hands etc after touching him as ringworm is quite contagious. Be careful if you've got other pets too as they can catch it. I got ringworm on my face a few years ago after my chinchillas got it (and kept reinfecting each other :roll: )

Molly had something that looked just like that when he was younger, it turned out to be mites? His fur went all funny like that. the vets gave him an injection and it cleared up so maybe it could be something similar?

xx

Awww Paula im sure the vets will sort Buster out, i havn't a clue what it is, having never seen ringworm i wouldn't know what i was looking for. Sending vibes xxxxx

P.S, if your not busy over this weekend you could pop out here and have a looky before you go away xx

Back from vets. He says he doesn't think it's anything to worry about, he checked the skin, and hair under a UV light. There's no sign of mites or irrtation, but he took a hair sample for the lab anyway.

Said it was a possible result of trauma, (I immediatley assured him that I haven't dropped him, or bashed him lately):lol: So I'll just have to wait and see. He really seemed pleased with how he looked, I was quite chuffed:D

Phill, is this you trying to get me to do some manual labour while I'm down? Want me to bring a screw driver:lol:

Back