• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Captain 'I can binky' Jack - an update

pepperpots

Alpha Buck
My new gorgeous foster bunny arrived yesterday. He was called Ruffy, but I have renamed him Captain Jack, as he is an adventuring pirate rabbit!

I think he spent most of his time at the RSPCA escaping!

He is around nine weeks old and had been found as a stray. He is very nervous, but settling in well. I am surprised that I managed to get these pictures, as I had to put my arm and the camera inside his cage.

He is in my office in the homemade guinea pigs cage (empty at the mo). I know it is too small (4ft by 3 ft), but it is good for him at the moment, while he becomes more used to people.

He is a total escape artist, so I don't think he can go in the shed, but I can set up a big pen for him in the kitchen in due course. There is also the run in the garden - on the patio for him, as he bound to be a digger!

The boy himself

DSC00719.jpg

Lovely markings on his back

DSC00724.jpg

Having a wash

DSC00725.jpg

Killing the vet bed (not eating, just digging)

DSC00722.jpg

Run....

DSC00721.jpg

Tired now mum

DSC00727.jpg

He has short bursts of activity, before he realises that he is supposed to be scared, then he bunches up again. I'm confident he'll relax soon though.

He is so cute and my first experience of bunny babies.

Last edited:
That is a chicken feeder bought from acrorats (website) as a rat bed. The rats love them, and as I had one spare I thought it would be a good hay holder! I'm not sure how good it is though - I'm a bit worried he might get his head stuck when he gets older.

I'm trying to tempt him with yummy Oxbow orchard grass at the moment, as he is not eating much apart from his pellets and veg.

If anyone has any tips for 'taming' him, I would be very grateful. I have feeling it is just going to be a case of time and TLC.

How in the world am I goimg to give this one back!

Yep - my handsome chappie is back at Block Fen and ready for rehoming.

Hint, hint, hint !!!!!!

Go on, you know you want him really ;)

Found out a bizarre thing tonight.

I think the lad is more lonely than anything. I decided to get him out into the big pen and sit with him, as today he seemed to pick up after I had handled him.

Without me he just sat very still in his hay box in the pen. When I went in and gave him a cuddle, he had a run round, climbed all over me and gave my arm a quick wash. Not the behaviour I expected from a rabbit who I was told was 'as scared as a rabbit can be'.

I wish I could pair him with another rabbit, but I am not allowed.

Me too :D

This morning he has learned to .......

BINKY!

More hand washing as well.

Slight poo problems this morning, so we are on a hay only diet. I think it's because yesterday he didn't eat much hay, but ate all his pellets.

Since then I have found out he only likes to eat hay after a nose rub and with my arm in his pen next to him :rolleyes:.

Funny boy ... sooner he can free range the better.

Not really helping me get work done, all this hay eating encouragement ... plus it is doing my bad knee in!

:love: Aw hes lovely well done you!

Maybe you could give him a chew safe teddy to cuddle up to if he is lonely?

Tried that - he's not interested. Wants the real deal, clever lad.

Good job I work from home. Did I say 'work' :shock: - argh, must meet deadline!

Back