• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pulling out his fur???

sarahmarshadlam

Warren Scout
Hello,

I have a question about my sister's rabbit who her & my rabbit have just moved in with us. The lionhead neteured male has quite a small hutch & no mate & she works during the day/out in evening so he is on his own a lot.

Today I have noticed that he has a long patch on his back where it apprears he's been trying to pull out. He's long haired and on this patch the fur isn't missing but like he's bitten it down very short.

I know some animals pull their fur out when they are unhappy - is it likely he is biting his fur because he's lonely/doesn't have enough space?

I don't think it's a parasite/shedding because the fur isn't actually bald, it's like it's just been bitten down very short.

Many thanks, Sarah

Thumper pulled out the fur below his neck when we moved his cage to a new location. We returned him to the old location & it grew back!

Maybe it's the new, smaller space...

Good luck!

Hi

Thank you for the quick response! He is in the same size cage (which I think is far too small) but as she has split with her bf, they've moved in with us.

Do you think it is probably boredom/lonliness? I#ve suggested getting a mate. He has also started to be really naughty when it's time to go back in his hutch like he doesn't like it?

Many thanks, Sarah

Angora rabbits are longcoated, and are prone to chewing and licking their coat when someone new handles them and they are trying to get the scent off them. Its not easy to clean long fur by licking, it just tends to clump together and web, so they tend to chew it off instead.

Alternatively it could be he has mites?

hi

Can you see mites? He is groomed regularly, I don't know if this makes a differene with the maulting?

He does seem lonely & I just saw a website that says they can do that when they aren't getting as much attention as they want. His routine has very much changed as his bunny mum isn't actually here much.

It would be an idea to get him checked/treated for mites as irritation (itchy skin) can cause them to chew their fur.

It can be a symptom of boredom, although more space an exercise is the best solution for this you can improve things by providing toys and using his food to encourage him to spend more time moving about and looking for the best bits. e.g. hiding his pellets in the hay.

Tam

Hi

Ok, I'll get him checked for mites - I think I was getting mixed up with Ticks that are big white things. I can't see anything in the fur but I'd imagine mites are quite small!

But he does seem sad...my Tinker gets constant attention and is very pampered (as a bun should be;) ) and he seems so much happier.

Many thanks, Sarah

Back