• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

depressed bunny?

Bunnymonster

Warren Scout
My pair have been happily bonded for 4 months and I've never had any problems with fighting or bullying.

Normally they live in a cage in our lean-to during the day and would be allowed in during the evening when we get home from work, but for the last couple of weeks they haven't been in as we are having a load of building work done. They have been getting time outside in their run instead, but they dont get quite so much interaction with us as they are used to.

Last weekend Ben looked a bit miserable. He wouldn't kiss me (which he always does) and just was a bit lethargic. I checked him over and he seemed ok, and he was still eating/pooing well. He's been a bit better this week, but still not quite "right". Lily has always been the dominant one of the pair and I think that she may have been bullying him a bit. His coat is rough and scruffy even though he only finished a moult a couple of months back, but I keep catching Lily mounting him and blocking him into his sleeping box.

Could he be being bullied or is it more likely to be the heat combined with lack of human attention that is causing him to be a bit down?

It sounds like possible bullying to me - especially if his fur is looking odd. Is female bun spayed? She could be hormonal? Spaying her might fix that.

If his coat is out of condition that can be a sign that he's below par. A healthy bun has a healthy looking coat. Try adding a probiotic to his water. How are his eyes? Bright and shiny, or dull . He may have been affected by the change in routine, but I'd be inclined to pop him up to a vet for a quick once over just to be sure.

they were both neutered some time ago.

I did give him some probiotic at the weekend, but have run out - I'll see about getting him some more.

the house will be getting back to normal this weekend, so hopefully he can settle again.

You know I had a similar thought with Zippy, but it turned out to be her teeth. :D

Could well have been the heat, plus the change in routine - rabbits are very attached to routine and get stressed by changes of any kind. I would suggest removing the sleeping box - maybe give them a cardboard one instead as my girls spend ages ripping their boxes to shreds and making holes to pop in and out of - If your girl is bored she may be taking it out on him?

Back