• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

only available as house rabbits?

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
Browsing on some rescue sites I found that http://www.farplace.co.uk/ have some new arrivals but that "They will only be available as house rabbits." Why would that be do you think? I keep my rabbits outside and they still have a great life! :?

Perhaps because that is what they have been used to from birth?

Or that post perhaps was made when the weather was still very cold, and you can't put house rabbits outside in bad weather as their coats won't be thick enough.

Yeah I'd guess there was a reason these particular rabbits can't go outside?

I think rabbits can live happily indoors or out, well I hope so, I do sometimes wish I had a large garden so mine could be hutch bunnies but I would miss the contact i have with them.

I haven't seen the buns, but sometimes rescues prefer long-haired buns, or overweight buns(more at risk of flystrike) to be inside. Or if a bun has always lived indoors:D Most of my buns love a play outside, but Smirnoff hates it & rarely comes out of the pet carrier (he's also really easy to handle outside, which is an indication of how miserable he is:( ). Unfortunately, he's part of a bonded 9 & has little choice when the others go out.

My buns are house rabbits with free access to the garden, and I have had one rabbit who HATED the garden. She would never go outside, and if I put her outside she would run straight in. If I prevented her from running in she would sit in a corner and be frightened and miserable until she was allowed in. I thought she just needed to get used to the outside world, but she never did. So she is one rabbit (out of 8 I have had) who would be best rehomed as a house rabbit.

Maybe is just what they have been used to since birth.

I know its another animal but my neighbour has a rescue dog that used to live outside 24/7 in a kennel. He now lives inside and apparently he sweats a lot, probably because he's used to being colder?

Maybe the same could apply with bunsters over time?:?

Yeah, its a little Yorkshire terrier, he's getting a bit 10 - 12 years i think but hes always dripping with sweat?!:shock:

......see you shortly

Could point actually, isn't that why they pant and stick thier tounges out when they're hot?

Just googled it, and the only place dogs sweat is from their nose and pads of their feet.

Otherwise, like you said, they pant.

Very odd. :shock:

C'mon doggie peeps....put us out of our misery!:lol:

Sound like he has a greasy coat. Perhaps his food is a little rich. I'm not sure if bunnies can sweat either.:?:

Maybe is just what they have been used to since birth.

I suppose so, the website says this:

Clover, pictured here is part of a new litter born here in mid February after the mother came in to the sanctuary pregnant. It will be at least 4 weeks before these babies will be ready for their new homes. They will only be available as house rabbits.

They don't look as thought they have lots of rabbits to rehome and their preference as a rescue might be as house bunnies because their perception is outside bunnies might not get as much social contact etc. I know outdoor bunnies of members of RU will, but in the general population bunnies sometimes languish at the bottom of the garden in a hutch by itself. The bunnies didn't long haired to me, but that could be another reason and they haven't mentioned any illness.

Back