• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Badly injured wild rabbit - please advise. Update - it's at rest now

CrazyBun

Warren Scout
What do I do? I picked a rabbit off the road today who had been run over. It was still alive. It's back is broken so that it can't use (or apparently feel) its hindquarters, and both front legs are broken so that the bone sticks through the skin. The poor creature is obviously very severely shocked. I don't drive, and can't find anyone willing to run it over for me. I have a friend who will drive it to the vet at lunchtime for putting down. Meanwhile I have taken it off the road and put it near some burrows under some bushes, but I am really afraid that crows are going to find it and peck at it while it is still alive. I am really upset - you can't imagine how horrible it is watching a rabbit try top drag itself away on the bomnes of its elblows sticking out of its skin. I hate cars. Shall I put it in a box and keep it in my office until lunchtime? This would protect it from crows, but presumably be very stressful for it. PLese answer

Last edited:
What do I do? I picked a rabbit off the road today who had been run over. It was still alive. It's back is broken so that it can't use (or apparently feel) its hindquarters, and both front legs are broken so that the bone sticks through the skin. The poor creature is obviously very severely shocked. I don't drive, and can't find anyone willing to run it over for me. I have a friend who will drive it to the vet at lunchtime for putting down. Meanwhile I have taken it off the road and put it near some burrows under some bushes, but I am really afraid that crows are going to find it and peck at it while it is still alive. I am really upset - you can't imagine how horrible it is watching a rabbit try top drag itself away on the bomnes of its elblows sticking out of its skin. I hate cars. Shall I put it in a box and keep it in my office until lunchtime? This would protect it from crows, but presumably be very stressful for it. PLese answer

Thats so very sad, i think unfortunatly it might be dead by lunchtime. the shock will probably kill it. I think bringing it into your office would stress the poor thing too much, if you could find someone to break it's neck before lunch that would probably be kinder x I am sorry xx

Thanks, Phill. I have been told how to break a rabbit's neck but really really really don't think I could. I would be so nervous I wouldn't do it properly.

If the bunny is very weak then you could wrap it in a towel and apply pressure to its neck and throat. I know it sounds horrible but the pain it must be in will be even worse :cry:

|Gosh - I didn't think a vet would come out. I will definitely try that. I am very reluctant to try to kill it myself, because I am so afraid of doing half a job (well, half a job has already been done for me). I am rubbish even at injecting my rabbits. I'll ring the vet now...

Please do not try to neck it unless you know how!
Try the RSPCA in case they have an ACO/Inspector in the area that could get to you sooner. 08705 555999
Keep it somewhere quiet in a dark box in the meantime.

AWW THATS AWFUL .

TRY THE RSPCA ...OR THE VET ...OR ANOTHER LOCAL CHARITY .
SURELY SOMEONE WILL COME AND GET IT AND TAKE IT TO A VET .

FAILING THAT I WOULD PROBABLY LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS IF YOU DONT FEEL ABLE TO HELP IT ON ITS WAY YOURSELF. ....IF YOU HADNT SEEN IT THATS WHERE IT WOULD BE ANYWAY .

POORPOOR BUNNY :cry:

Vet wouldn't come out, but RSPCA are great. They are coming as an emergency. Thanks for that idea and phone number, jbbun1 (and to everybody else too). I am really grateful to you all, and very embarrassed, as I can't talk about it without crying. I am so glad that my room mate here at work is on a course today. I'll keep you all posted.

Vet wouldn't come out, but RSPCA are great. They are coming as an emergency. Thanks for that idea and phone number, jbbun1 (and to everybody else too). I am really grateful to you all, and very embarrassed, as I can't talk about it without crying. I am so glad that my room mate here at work is on a course today. I'll keep you all posted.

Aww, I know its very upsetting to see animals suffering like that, :( but you have done the right thing. Lets hope the RSPCA aren't too far away.

Well, the RSPCA rang to say they were on their way, so I went to check bun and it was dead already. Poor thing. I rang the RSPCA to tell them. Hope it died quickly. There has been lots of discussion about the RSPCA on this forum, but in this case they couldn't have been better.

When I went to check on the rabbit there were loads more baby rabbits around, all with swollen myxi-eyes. It's a tough life in the wild.

Thank you all again though for your advice and support.

:cry: So sad :cry:

I always drive slowly through countryside areas in case an animal runs out, especially at night. If only other people would be careful, there wouldn't be half the accidents involving wildlife. :cry:

Back