• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency!!!

jessicarose

Young Bun
Ok I always check the floor when I let Lilly out but I didn't this time because I was only going to refill her food, she wasn't going to be let out but she escaped and when I went to grab her she was chewing on something so I pulled it out of her mouth. It was a pill. So I freaked out and looked through all of the ones in the cupboard. I matched it with an acid reducer... she ate about half of it. WILL THIS HURT HER! I'm panicing. I don't know why there was a pill in the living room in the first place!!!!:censored: :evil: :(

The must be a listing somewhere in the phonebook for emergency vets. Won't your local vet have an 0ncall out- of- hours facility? Even if you're not yet registered, this could be surely classed as urgent. What's the name of the pill..is it an over-the-counter indegestion remedy?

Last edited:
Heres the info

It's an over the counter Hy-Vee (store here) acid control medicine

The only ingredient listed is

Famotidine 10mg (milagram)

The 10mg is in one pill, so tech she only got 5

Oh dear idk? I'm going to look up that ingredient

Ive found lots of studies on the internet about rabbits being given the drug at the stated dose of 10mg :censored: :censored:

Famotidine did not produce overt effects at high oral doses in mice, rats, cats and dogs, but induced significant anorexia and growth depression in rabbits starting with 200 mg/kg/day orally.

This is over a period of days though... i would still phone a vet to be on the safe side.

Found an article online:

"Reproductive studies have been performed in rats and rabbits at oral doses of up to 2000 and 500 mg/kg/day, respectively, and in both species at I.V. doses of up to 200 mg/kg/day, and have revealed no significant evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to PEPCID. While no direct fetotoxic effects have been observed, sporadic abortions occurring only in mothers displaying marked decreased food intake were seen in some rabbits at oral doses of 200 mg/kg/day (250 times the usual human dose) or higher. There are, however, no adequate or well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproductive studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed."

Doesn't seem to have harmed the rabbit? Those were very high doses!!

I will in the morning.

But it seems as she'll be okay for the rest of the night??:?

I could kick whoever left the pill on the floor!!!

I've looked it up ..it is an antihistamine and it works on the stomach to block the production of acid. Rabbits stomachs are very delicately balanced and so I should think that even half a tablet(intended for an adult) is going to cause a problem. I can only advise what I would do your position ..get a vet fast.

These are results from tests using rabbits etc as the guineapigs aren't they? Lab rabbits are generally adults. Lily is a very young rabbitthough, isn't she?

vet phoned back and said that there are no reported bad effects of the drug on rabbits (it is similar to a drug which can be used for rabbits anyway), that the only potential damage could be liver/kidney, but generally low risk of that happening - keep an eye on her, feed her and let her drink normally and just wait until your vet is open for further advice... basically, she should be fine as it was quite a small dose.

vet phoned back and said that there are no reported bad effects of the drug on rabbits (it is similar to a drug which can be used for rabbits anyway), that the only potential damage could be liver/kidney, but generally low risk of that happening - keep an eye on her, feed her and let her drink normally and just wait until your vet is open for further advice... basically, she should be fine as it was quite a small dose.

Thankyou so much!!

She seems to be fine @ the moment. Will deff check out the vet in the morn. though.

But now at least I'm feeling a little better.

Thankyou again!

Well done CM for getting that info so fast. Hopefully Lily will be fine and there'll be good news later on.

That's ok - I have been keeping those vets afloat with my animals combined problems recently, I don't mind asking them for the odd favour!!! :lol:
Keep us all posted on how she is, and what your vet says in the morning... fingers crossed for her!

Back