• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please

lynseybrown

Warren Scout
As you know daisy was spayed on monday, and has been back to the vets yesterday and today because she is refusing to eat.:roll: Each day they have given her more pain killer and gut stimulant which they said would encourage her to eat. On tuesday i was given science recovery by the vet she had about a mill of it and since then everytime i give her some she refuses to swallow it, its almost like shes storing it in her mouth and after about a minute to a minute and half she dribbles it out. She is also doing this with pineapple juice now and usually she cant get enough of it. I told this to the vet this morning and she said that if she wasnt proberly eating by tomorrow nite fri morning they would have to take her in and put her on a drip:cry: Also one of her eyes is very bloodshot and the other is weeping but when i mentioned it she said that it was just an after effect of the anesthetic, so ive bathed them in cooled boiled water.
Im really worried about her now and feel like this is my fault because she was fine before i had her spayed on monday.
Sorry for going on
Any new ideas on how to get her to eat or advice would be really helpful

Hi Lynsey. This is turning into a nightmare for you both. If she's still not eating or pooing despite the intervention then I think you've really got to take her back to the vet now..I wouldn't want to leave it another 12 hours. Do you think she is unable to swallow? Does she feel cold? Is she grinding her teeth or lying hunched up?

When Pippa was spayed I managed to get her to eat by grating some carrot up for her (she wasn't interested in a chunk like normal) then when she ate that I mixed a few pellets and a bit of hay in. Have you tried grating her favourite food?

Hope she starts eating soon xx

If she didn't eat veg before her spay, she's not going to eat it now, so I would just mush up some pellets in warm water from the kettle and syringe quite a lot into her. If she doesn't get something moving through her guts she will go downhill, so force feeding may be the best you can do. It's good she's drinking though. You must be so worried :(

She isnt grinding her teeth shes lying streched out on her heat pad at the moment. Does it mean shes in pain when shes hunched up???

Has she had any water? One of mine refused to eat for a while and I was getting worried, I had to physically move the water bowl to her mouth and as soon as she'd had a drink she began eating. Don't know if this would have different response to pineapple juice? Hope she eats soon xx

Back