• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much exercise?

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbits live in pairs in hutches which are on top of a run, on slabs. The hutches are 5ft wide, 2ft deep, 2ft high and the run underneath is 4ft by 5ft. Up until now they have taken it in turns to have free run of the garden for at least 2 hours a day each pair. They hop out of the hutch on their own and go back in when i put food in the hutch.
I'm now thinking of getting or making them a bigger run on the grass due to garden refurbishment. I want to buy some plants and the rabbits have previously eaten ones i have bought in the past.
I have been looking at a run 8ft by 4ft for a pair. I feel a bit bad because they like to run really fast round the garden and they won't be able to get the same amount of exercise in a run :? Also i will have to transport them into the run from the hutch which either means picking them up, which they won't like, faffing around trying to get them to hop into a carrier or training them to come out of the hutch and go into the run by bribing them with food :?

How much space does your rabbit get to run around in and for how long a day?
Does it have a separate hutch and run and how do you get it from one place to the other?

The outdoor bunnies get free range garden time in the morning for an hour, then it's indoor bunnies time. I would say they get a couple of hours each per day..

Mine have a couple of hours a day now it's summer - split into 2 sessions morning and evening (just mornings in winter). They seem to like sleeping all through the middle of the day anyway, and when I go to lock up Benny he's usually put himself back in his hutch as they all open onto the 6'x18' patio. I can't handle my rabbits (except Benny) so I prefer to let them run out by themselves, and they always come in for food, so getting them in is no problem either. What I like about the patio is they have enough room to run and binky, and patio chairs and boxes, stools etc, which they like climbing on. I'll go out at night and Benny is sat on a high wooden box surveying the garden like a king :lol:

Back