• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues.....good or bad.....

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
We have debated breeders and so to even up the debate and as I am closely involved with a rescue, I would be interested in peoples findings of the rescues they have visited, good or bad, PLEASE DO NOT NAME THE RESCUE, but state things that have impressed you or disappointed you and maybe, just maybe it will help rescues raise their standards.

Your comments please

I have been to three great rescues, all provided good facilities and the buns seemed well looked after, clean hutches, had plently of hay, regualr exercise etc.

The first rescue I visited before getting my two was ok but the people who ran it had no interest in where the bun would end up and were prepared to let me take a rabbit then and there, I was quite shocked by that? I didn't get a bun from there in the end.

Good...

- I like rescues with an 'open door' policy whereby they state opening times (say 10am-6pm) and you can just turn up unannounced. I feel this is a more transparent way of doing things, and shows that they have nothing to hide. I know this isn't really possible for rescue owners who work or have other committments.

Bad...

- Too many rabbits kept in small or unsuitable hutches.

- 'General' rescues who take in any animals without specializing in a particular species or type of animal.

I put my hand up in praise to anyone who opens up their homes and pockets to given rabbits a haven, often from horrendous conditions. Who am I to judge someone by my standards on how I think it should be done, when I don't do it myself?

I remember years ago visiting a rescue that is no longer open and looked at all the hutches stacked on top of each other and I was shocked. Four years on, I realise I was wrong. I should have been shocked at how many rabbits were thrown away by their owners than the great person who was feeding them, cleaning them, giving them vet. aid, and eventually getting them rehomed. I was exceedingly naive.

I would prefer to devote my energies to more pressing issues in rabbit welfare than trying to impose my "ideals" of what a rescue should be to those operating on the front line. I think if people are unhappy with any rescue, then put on your old clothes and volunteer to help them. With this in mind, I think it would be a good idea if a thread was started re "volunteering".

I have been to three great rescues, all provided good facilities and the buns seemed well looked after, clean hutches, had plently of hay, regualr exercise etc.

The first rescue I visited before getting my two was ok but the people who ran it had no interest in where the bun would end up and were prepared to let me take a rabbit then and there, I was quite shocked by that? I didn't get a bun from there in the end.

Good point about the homing, I know it's not 100% proof but at least it goes a good way to ensuring a good home

Good...

- I like rescues with an 'open door' policy whereby they state opening times (say 10am-6pm) and you can just turn up unannounced. I feel this is a more transparent way of doing things, and shows that they have nothing to hide. I know this isn't really possible for rescue owners who work or have other committments.

Bad...

- Too many rabbits kept in small or unsuitable hutches.

- 'General' rescues who take in any animals without specializing in a particular species or type of animal.

Hadn't thought about the open door bit before, but of course many of us work as well so it's not possible but you are right as it would show the 'nothing to hide' side of things, as for the bad comment, I always thought about bunnies kept in small hutches etc but then I had to think is it better than where they came from?, at least they would get food, water, hay and vet treatment, I'm not saying it's good as a permanat thing just as a temporary measure.

I put my hand up in praise to anyone who opens up their homes and pockets to given rabbits a haven, often from horrendous conditions. Who am I to judge someone by my standards on how I think it should be done, when I don't do it myself?

I remember years ago visiting a rescue that is no longer open and looked at all the hutches stacked on top of each other and I was shocked. Four years on, I realise I was wrong. I should have been shocked at how many rabbits were thrown away by their owners than the great person who was feeding them, cleaning them, giving them vet. aid, and eventually getting them rehomed. I was exceedingly naive.

I would prefer to devote my energies to more pressing issues in rabbit welfare than trying to impose my "ideals" of what a rescue should be to those operating on the front line. I think if people are unhappy with any rescue, then put on your old clothes and volunteer to help them. With this in mind, I think it would be a good idea if a thread was started re "volunteering".

I agree totally :D

I've visited 2 -

The first: The buns are in massive hutches & are let out for run time everyday. They are not overun, & manage to help a fair few buns, doing homechecks or getting vet refs for potential homes. The adoption donation is extremely low, but all buns are neutered before rehoming. If a bun had to stay there forever - it wouldn't be a bad thing. All their needs are taken care of & there's not so many that they won't get human attention.

The second (actually the first one I ever went to). the people there do the best they can.:? Buns were stacked in cages all over their house. It wasn't the pleasantest smell, as the person who ran it also had a full time job & only cleaned out once a week. They've had buns dumped on them left, right & centre, & do a very hard job, with the little funds/space they have. I'm not sure how much time buns got out of their cages, but i'm assuming minimal due to the sheer number & lack of space. Males are neutered before rehoming but does only spayed on request. Although i was shocked by what I saw, the buns were obviously loved, & it's important to remember this is a temporary home, & quite possibly a tonne better than where the buns were previously. they do not homecheck or vaccinate.

I've been to 3 rescues over here, and can't find anything negative to say about them. The rabbits were all in good hands and had clean and spacious accomodation, hay, proper food, etc..
In Germany I went to a rescue to get my cat Dusty, and I didn't like that place at all. It was filthy, smelly, they gave me my kitten with worms and diarrhea, and there were too many cats locked up in a small room. And they had to listen to the dogs' barking all day long.
Then I helped anothe rescue for a while by taking dogs for a walk. That rescue was really great, with lots of space, no more than 2 or 3 cats in a big kennel each, everything was clean and people got very good advice.

Lots of rescues - some good, some bad and some are mediocre but are doing their very best to help buns.
I have also been to the most appalling rescue I have ever seen in my life where 23 rabbits had to be got out asap :evil: and that was also a charitable status rescue:evil: :censored:
As we don't name the rescues I won't name my favourite one then, but she knows who she is:wave: :lol:

I agree with Raine's post.

There is a rescue I know that I try not to condemn. They 'never turn away an animal in need', and never put down a healthy animal, so they are horrendously overcrowded, with all that that entails. But they also seem to make a rod for their own back by being very bad at sexing rabbits, so they keep making more. They don't neuter (costs too much) or vaccinate (ditto). I have had sick rabbits from there and so has a friend of mine.

However, as the point of this thread was to 'help rescues raise their standards', the things that I have found most annoying with this one is no clear rules. The first time I went there I arrived unannounced with a cat-carrier, and was allowed to take home two rabbits that same day. The next time I had to visit twice (but I still got no home check), while a friend of mine was allowed to visit once and take a bunny home. I went again specifically to get a friend for a bunny I had, and each time I went the rules about whether I should bring my bunny or not, and what they could do for me to help the bonding changed. I would rather have clear, stricty rules that a moving target.

I agree with Raine's post.

There is a rescue I know that I try not to condemn. They 'never turn away an animal in need', and never put down a healthy animal, so they are horrendously overcrowded, with all that that entails. But they also seem to make a rod for their own back by being very bad at sexing rabbits, so they keep making more. They don't neuter (costs too much) or vaccinate (ditto). I have had sick rabbits from there and so has a friend of mine.

But how can that be a Rescue:( :( They are just adding to the problem:(

I've never been to an actual rescue place just for bunnies, but our local animal shelter where I volunteer has bunnies occasionally. As I mentioned on another thread, we have a terrible problem with people thinking that the best thing to do with their unwanted bunny is to set it "free" rather than bring it to rescue. This is a death sentence for all domestic buns, as not only is the predation in Vermont rampant, but winter temps can easily get below zero for days on end. :cry:
The shelter does the best they can, but the staff is sometimes lacking rabbit knowledge. It took a bit to convince them to use real hay (they had those little pressed cubes; I don't know any bun who likes those :roll: !), and some of them were surprised by how playful bunnies are, and how much mental stimulation they need.

I have been to two rescues...

The first one was mainly for dogs, although they did have guinea pigs there too, and are fantastic with them. The only problem i have is that they are not great with bunnies, they dont neuter or vaccinate them before they leave. Our poochy was from there though... not a nice place for a dog to have to stay but it is better than the alternative :evil:. They do have a permanent bun who lives alone, and has a huge enclosure and gets loads of attention. I would love to see him with a friend though :(. 5/10

The second rescue i went to was just great! The buns were kept in huge hutches, got regular exercise in huge runs - and have a super knowledgeable person looking after them. These bunnies are very lucky. Also they are vaccinated against myxi and neutered before they leave, and the donation fee is very low. Leaflets are given to new owners, and new owners are encouraged to use this forum! 10/10!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

When I was really poorly a few months back, my only thought was 'oh no - if I'm really ill the pigs will have to go to the local rescue!' They are quite good with dogs, cats and horses, but the rabbits and guinea pigs are kept in a petting zoo, or locked permanently in small hutches as they don't neuter even the boys. Anyone can have one for £10 - no home check needed - I shudder to think :?

Very well said :D

The first time I went to a rescue I was naively surprised that all the hutches weren't 6ft attached to 10 ft runs - I guess I had a rather idealistic view of animal rescues :oops: :lol:

The rescue I frequent (guess who ;) ) is absolutely fabulous and I am always amazed at how this rescue somehow finds the energy and resources to do the work they do

One rescue I know of vaccinates and neuters, but their rabbits don't always get to go on the grass BUT they have big cat pens with plenty of space to exercise

Another has fairly big hutches, neuters and vaccinates but again the buns don't always get out side, they are very well looked after.

A third rescue I'm very partial to, I'm not certain of exercise details but the buns have lovely hutches, a wonderful caring mum who does everything she can to help them and holds down a full time job

Good...

Whilst I do like this idea, there are 3 rescues I know can only have visitors to their rescue on a pre arranged basis as they are either limited to a maximum number they can have on their premises or can only have visitors who have pre arranged due to local planning restrictions.

Back