• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Collars/bandages post-spay?

Does your vet ROUTINELY use collars and bandages after a spay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

capel

Warren Veteran
Having just read a post mentioning using collars and/or bandages after a spay, I'd be interested to know how common it is to use them routinely.

when Fred was done he had a collar (which he trashed in minutes!).

Alice didn't when she was spayed because they glued her wound.

none of mine have ever been given a collar post-neuter/spay... the only time I used on was when Beauty had a cut above her eye - the vet was worried that she'd scratch at it, meaning more invasive treatment. I only used it for one night though...

I had one for an eye cut on Barley - which I never used cos, I was worried she'd panic.

& I got one for Sopice after she re-opened her spay wound:shock: Didn't help though, cos she took it off:lol:

one of my foster buns had a collar and it just stressed her out so much i was recommended the spray to use by people on here it worked well

Only ever used one for Scout on her broken leg when it was freshly pinned. I have been given collars since 'just in case' they got frisky with the stitches but never used them because this can happen over night

08-07-06_1437.jpg

-

Poppy shown here below with a collar + bandge on her .

P1010021.jpg

the bandage was just to cover up the stiches on her spay wound. the collar is / was to stop her from getting at them again. as she had undid her stiches 3 times in a week after her op on fri June 1st 07. :roll:

but the vets did nothig about it until she did it the 3rd time. :? glue was used as well. and now used again as well on her now 4th lot of stiches. which she has not unpicked. due to the fact the collar has stayed around head since it was put on her last thursday. when she went in to be stiched again for the 4th time. :roll: :?
that was also when they added the Pink bandage around her middle to cover up the new stiches. in her wound plus the glue used again.
they put a bandage around her middle also incase she got her head out of the collar .
i was told by my vet or nurse their. that it did not matter if the bandage came off but as long as her collar was still on around her head it'd be ok.
but none of these things have come off since she had both the collar (bonet) and bandage put on her last thursday. :)
which is good.

tomorrow friday 15th june 07 i hope the collar and bandage can come off apparently my vet has said poppy should have these things off her on this day as long as her wound is ok i guess.

although poppy has not even i don't think noticed she's still wearing the collar
i think she's got use to it now . :) :lol:
mind you i have put on her befor a cat collar around her head and she don't mind this on her .:)
in fact she perfers the cat collar to the Rabbit harness you put this harness on her she try's to shke it off and then chews at it .

i think she's more of a cat collar fan than a harness fan :lol: :lol: :)

-

are I see the prob with your Bunny's collar your's was not shaped to fit it's bunny head propperly like poppy's was my vets gave her a desighner collar like a skirt shape to fit her head and around her neck propperly .

other wise poppy's collar would of ened up like your bunny's collar has /did off over it's head. :)

My two had neither bandage or collar they had dissolvable stiches aswell which were great. They were very good kept the wound clean but didn't wash it exessively.

I've had 2 bunnies spayed and neither had a collar or bandage. Alice was spayed 7 ish years ago and Betty a few months ago...

Gemma xx

Mine had dissolvable stitches and didn't need a collar or bandage as they pretty much left the wound alone. It must be a nightmare when a bunny undoes their stitches, as I know they can do, and then a collar would be useful. Glad Poppy has done well with her stitches this time.

are I see the prob with your Bunny's collar your's was not shaped to fit it's bunny head propperly like poppy's was my vets gave her a desighner collar like a skirt shape to fit her head and around her neck propperly .

other wise poppy's collar would of ened up like your bunny's collar has /did off over it's head. :)

Its exactly the same as your collar, the only way they make them, the problem was that a VERY DISTRESSED rabbit tried desperatly with only the use of 3 legs to remove it....and got stuck.....as funny as it looks she was a wreck when I found her. She was only 14 weeks old and it put back our friendship by weeks while I tried to calm and reassure her. It came straight off and I would be most dubious about using one again.

Back