• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead Owners-input Needed

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi all
I am putting together a lionhead article for the next issue of Bunny Mad magazine. it will be the 3rd in the series about bunny breeds written for me by Chandra Moire Beal.
I would like you to write a few words about your lionhead and what defines them as a breed. i. behaviour, temperment, quirks ect. i have written a few words myself below to give you an idea.
some of the quotes will be included in the article so please write your full name below your post,

My lionhean Jamine is just the cutest, fluffest bunny. She loves a bit of mischief but with that cute little face, she is always forgiven! She's also very nimble and loves to play, catch me if you can! i've had 2 lionheads in my life and found they were both very headstrong and bossy!

thanks
lisa and the buns

My lionhead,Matilda, is a ball of fluff! shes 10 weeks old and already shes worked out how to sit on the corner of her run. Shes really affectionate, gentle and very curious. She loves cuddling her dad! I think the curiuosity is what defines her at the moment, shes always nuzzling something with her nose, or stretching to see or smell something and god forbid the day she ever gets into the veggie patch.

From the moment we let 7 week old Gasket have a run in the lounge, only to watch him promptly disappear up a hole in the gas fire that we didn't even know was there, we knew he was going to be trouble. Thankfully I managed to tempt him out with dandelion leaves, his favorite treat. Bossy and mischevious, with a Keith Moon hair do, that's how I'd describe him!

Hmmm

Smirnoff is arrogant & bossy. He likes his own way & if he doesn't get it, he can sulk for england. Typical bloke!! He's very intelligent & has a "guilty" look when he's done wrong. He's not particularly friendly though - I'm not allowed to touch him unless he decides it's time:D

Sugar: A lionhead X English spot. A bossy little madam, she is in charge of the bonded 9. I can only "add buns" if she decides it's ok, so often she gets introduced to them first:shock: . She demands grooming & usually gets it. She wees everywhere.

Spice: Sugar's sister - the friendlier of the two. Most often seen grooming Flint, she is very submissive & is one of the first buns to come & politely say hello to new buns or new people. She stretches her neck out & lays down. Described by my vet as "the perfect bun", she's a grey-agouti colour English spot X lionhead. Wee problems here too.

Rosie: Looks like Sugar, but with an amazing mane framing her face. Very human friendly - loves nose rubs, & gets on well with all the buns. She's a groomer too, & is happiest with Cracker or Flint & Spice. She's a real beauty though. She doesn't chew & is very clean

Alfie: tricolour lionhead X. My ex used to say he was 'ard! On introduction to other buns, he's very laidback & doesn't thump or sulk like the top two. He's really human friendly & I love how he rests his chin on the floor to sleep. So does Spice:D He's quite curious & Polly (his daughter & partner) follows him everywhere:D

My lionhead Phoebe is a stroppy madam! She is the boss of her husbun Hobbes and doesn't like my other female rabbit Amber at all. She's not really a 'morning bunny' either. When i feed her in the morning she grunts at me. She also grunts at me when i stroke her husbun. She is very good when i groom her and cut her fur. She will sit on my knee and let me give her a good haircut and trim her nails. I think she appreciates the girly pampering sessions. I love her personality and think she is a very pretty girl.

My lionhead is called Fraggle from Fraggle Rock as it was my favourite programme as a kid and I felt she looked like one.

She was bought from a petshop, and then sadly spent the first 9 months of her life in an indoor hutch. Her disabled owner had not realised how difficult it would be to access the cage and as a result he decided it was kinder to give her up. I was told by the rescue that she had not been touched, seen outdoors, tasted grass, or used to loud noises. When I brought her home she was nervous but stroppy (even though the rescue had neutered her). As she gained confidence she has become bossy and bolshy, shes not shy of anything. Don't get me wrong she will let me pick her up easy enough but she doesn't like being stroked. Shes not bothered by me in the slightest, in fact I almost think she sees me as a food dispenser and nothing more. Happily she lives with Monty and they have a great bond so I don't feel shes missing out too much. I had hoped watching Monty show affection toward me would encourage her as I have a great bond with him but she just chooses to hang back and watch. I have to come to think shes just very independant!

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Lea-Anne;1943321 I had hoped watching Monty show affection toward me would encourage her as I have a great bond with him but she just chooses to hang back and watch. I have to come to think shes just very independant![/QUOTE

I thought the same of Smirnoff, but he hangs back too:D

great comments so far!! keep them coming!! can everyone who has posted please tell me their full names incase any of the info is used in the article, then you will get credited, thanks!

seems to me there is a bit of a patern here...lionheads are stroppy!:lol:

Lisa, please think twice before doing an article on fluffy lionheads... I'm trying desperately to limit my bunnies to four and I love lionheads and my life really won't be complete until I have one and I really don't need to read about them too ;)

Looking forward to the next magazine, I love it, keep up the good work :)

Kathryn x

My dad's girlfriend's bunny is called Felicity (booked in to be neutered as Felix :lol: ) - she came from a colleague whose children had grown bored of her.

She's a grey lionhead with a permanently grumpy expression although she's a sweetie really. She is very attention seeking though and thinks she's the boss of the house. She is obsessed with burrowing behind the settee and chewing my dad's slippers. She is also very flirtatious with men :lol: (of the human variety) and soon forgets Christine is there once my dad arrives. Much to his displeasure :lol:

I have 2 gorgeous lionheads, Bib and Abby and they have very different temperaments!

Abby is very outgoing, into everything, very curious and very naughty! She very rarely sits still, and is always looking for something to chew or eat. she seems lot tamer than her brother, although hates being mollycoddled!

Bob is grumpy, plain and simple! He is very distrusting, although I have had him since he was a baby and he has been pampered and adored. He is very shy, and will let you know his displeasure at being groomed or his claws being trimmed by stamping his back feet loudly and flicking his back legs at you, (which is quite hilarious, as he soon comes running back if you have a treat in your hand!)

I totally agree that lionheadsdo seem to have a stroppy tendancies, but it makes me love them even more!

Amanda Thompson

Lolly was my beautiful Teddy. Please feel free to use this pic if you want. I posted it last year on the site. Such a lion colour:D
Moresootloll002.jpg

We got two Lionheads as our first buns and they have been with us for a month now. What little dudets they are. Ours don't like being held or mollycoddled but they love us and always scoot around us for some attention and nibbles.

Oakley (harlequine) is a total fluffball, a massive maine, a big skirt and a lovely soft body.

Bailey (toffee) is super soft, has a cute little maine and has the lovliest markings on her body. The symmetry is amazing and when she stands up she has a love heart on her chest.

I posted some images up :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92656

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92822

You are welcome to use any images and if required I can get specific shots of them.

Michael Balmain

snowey is one fluffy lion head

but what i love about her is her quiet loving personality she loves to sit and let the world go by.

she hates o be brushed and will sulk for days afterwards

but shs my little fluf bun

Hi
All my lionhead are full of character all totally different. Oscar thinks he's a dog and a cat all in one lol. There all cheekier than any other rabbit i've ever had.

Shadow my lion head x is a mardy little madam, the queen bee in my group of 14 and makes sure everybun knows it. Most of the day I only see her bum as the rest of her is buried in some cunning escape plan, she's intelligent and inquisitive and puts on her martyr face when I groom her mane and bum.

I have 3 lionheads who are all overly fluffy!
Simba is 4yrs old and ive had him since he was about 10weeks old. He is very friendly and loves having a cuddle and being groomed. He will come to me when called and will groom me and both of his fluffy friends :D His fur is very woolly and needs combing daily to remove loose fur and stop it from knotting up.
Nala is also 4yrs old and i rescued her when she was 2yrs old. She was extremely nervous when i got her but she is now alot better. She is very nosey and will come downstairs to see what we are up to. She still doesnt like being picked up but once you have she will sit on your lap whilst you stroke/groom her and she loves it. She follows the others around alot and will do some grooming. She grunts if you move her food but never attacks, She loves her food.
Fifi is just over 1yr old and i had her from about 12weeks old. She is the liveliest of the three. She is very fast and doesnt like sitting still. She will let you pick her up but doesnt sit still to be groomed or cuddled for long at all. She is very nosey and mischievous and will get into carrier bags/boxes if I leave them out. She has the loudest stamp for such a small bunny and does the fastest binkies

My Lionheads are Pickle and Lillie. Lillie loves to snuggle and is often found snuggled up behind Pickles with her little ears showing. She also loves to chew and dig everything and anything and loves newspaper. Pickle is much more reserved and tends to keep a watchful eye over everything going on in the day

thank you to everyone who posted!! very interesting to read about your fellow lionheads. Some of the info will be used in the article which will feature in the October issue of bunny mad.
many thanks
lisa ad the buns

Back