• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floppy Rabbit Syndrome

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you have come across FRS? :(

Monty suffers from it. He had an attack at 6months old and then 2 in the last year (he is now 6years old.) I can't find a pattern or cause to it. Although he comes through it its very upsetting for me and I am always looking for more info on the condition....

Any comments or info would be gratefully received..... :)

We had a rescue who was prone to it.....he had to have tomatoes to keep his levels of potassium up.

There has been speculation of that yes... But hes fed the same diet as all my others...

Hes out to grass from 3pm until 10pm, then when hes put back in the shed he gets Excel pellets or dried grass (used to give both but my vet said this was too much and to alternate). Hay is always available and veggies are fed every other day.

During his last attack I offered tomato juice and it made no difference :? Maybe I didn't feed enough???

I think its due to the rabbits inability to absord or digest the potassium efficiently, not that the actual diet is lacking in potassium. Rabbits such as this need additional Potassium so that their inefficient bodies have more chance to absorb a sufficient amount.

Some people don't absorb certain things from their food as well as others so maybe it's something similar in buns?
Some fruit juice only has a small percentage of actual fruit in it so real tomatoes might be more beneficial

Yea thats a point Bens-Mum! Silly me! :roll:

I suppose I could try feeding him tomatoes on a regular basis then? Hmm don't know if he'd eat them. He wouldn't last time but he was poorly when I offered them ..... :?

:( sorry not come across it but hope monty feels better soon

my two both eat tomato with no problem and both seem to enjoy it

i may be worng but doesnt banana have high leveks of potassium too? i know my buns go bad for s bit of nana although i suppose it is very sweet too so could be fed so often :? :?

Is it definitely FRS (caused by lack of potassium) or could it be something else..i.e. neurological problems.

Its not something I have ever come accross myself, but will have a look in FHB tonight.

I had a bun that had it once - scared the life outta me:shock: i was advised to feed tomato juice & seemed to perk her up:D She's not had it since & does get the odd cherry tomato - I keep an eye on her & make sure she eats enough too, cos she is really tiny

I have cut and paste the following post I put on another forum when he fell ill as it explains everything in detail......Sorry its long!

I have had probably one of the most exhausting weeks of my life. Luckily I was off work, using up my holiday time. Then Monty fell ill Monday night....

I'll have to explain what happened to him when he was a baby for those of you who can't remember or don't know.
I went to feed in him one morning when he was around 6 months old and to my horror found him collapsed in his hutch. Still in my PJ's!!!!?? I rang the vets, said I'm coming now and bolted out the door. Of course when we got there my vet had a million and one questions,

Had he hurt his back? (She concluded he hadn't)
Had he eaten any plants?
Had he got cold in the night?
Had we freshly painted anyway?
Did he have contact with other rabbits?
Had he been frightened by a fox?

But I could tell her nothing. I said "I just found him like this. He was out in his run the day before, it was sunny but not hot. He got brought in at around 9pm, put in his hutch and covered up. He can't get to plants in his run, we never use stuff on our garden anyway, nothing painted and no contact with other rabbits, plus he'll happily chase of cats." My vet said that he was so ill the best form of action was to work out what we did know -

His temperature was 97'C !!!! (A normal rabbit is 103-104'C)
He was unconscious.
He had no feeling in his body anywhere. If she pinced his feet he did nothing. If she pinched his toes he did move a little though but that was all.

My vet said the best theory was shock...Maybe from being in a sunny run and then because it was early summer the temperature had dropped quite a bit in the night. This seemed to be the most logical answer.
Of course he was admitted and had intensive care of force feeding, warmth, and was given steriods and baytril injections plus fluids every day. He couldn't even urinate on his own. The nurses were having to press on his bladder daily. Nothing happened for FOUR days...

Everytime I rang the vet and they said "no change" I felt my heart sink. You can imagine I felt very cruel and was contemplating putting him to sleep to end this but then something stopped me. Rabbits as we all know succumb to disease pretty quickly and don't tend to fight it. The fact he was hanging on made me talk myself out of this idea. Rightly or wrongly I refused to put him to sleep until I was 100% sure there was no chance of recovery. On the fifth day I rang the vets to see how he was, with heart in my mouth. The nurse replied "Hes sat up this morning. Hes urinating on his own." I nearly fell over. I was so shocked I asked her to double check we were talking about the same rabbit. I said "Monty, a blue rex?" And she said "Yes. He literally just suddenly got the feeling back in his legs. " His recovery was fast. I rang the next day and he was pooing and weeing on his own, feeding himself and generally back to normal. They said he was well enough for me to take him home but to watch out for some "little fits" he'd had. On the way home in the car he had one of these fits. He didn't loose his balance or become spaced out. He just shook, like a shiver and that was it. I never saw it happen again....

Until Monday....
I'd got him out for his usual run round the yard and remember thinking he felt a bit floppy but put it down to me being paranoid. Well thank god for paranoia. I checked on his regularly and found he was not really using a back leg. Not dragging it, just not using it. I assumed he'd probably sprained it, while playing with his new friend, my new lionhead. I'd just managed to bond them and this was their first day out together actually interacting with each other. Up until then Monty had been very coy. So I put him back in his hutch to rest it. He happily jumped in his litter tray so this confirmed what I thought. Just a sprain. I went out to check on him around 4 times that evening and he was fine.

At half 6 I went to check on him again, for the millionth time and found him on his side, awake but limp. He was rushed to the emergency vet. Luckily my vet, Fiona was still there. I said "this has happened before. " She agreed whatever it was was the same thing happening again, but that I'd caught it early this time. This time his temperature was 100'C. He was able to sit up if aided. This time she let me bring him home and care for him and just like before there wasn't really much change for 4 days. However, he was eating, drinking and pooing on his own without problems. He could urinate on his own but the vet showed me how to help him out and told me to just press lightly every few hours just to check he wasn't in any discomfort. Again, on day five I pinched his legs and he'd got the feeling back. Later that night he sat up. I watched in amazement as like a new born foal he just regained use of his legs. Then yesterday, day 5 he had regained all feeling his body. He was a little unstable, almost drunk but it did not faze him. Throughtout the week he has had these little fits the vet nurse described last time. I would not describe them as fits but more as spasms. His body jolts but he doesn't fall on his side or roll over or anything like that. He doesn't space out either. His heart races before, so loud I can hear it but then onces hes had the fit it regains normal speed. In my opinion I feel its caused by the muscles "waking up " again. First he could lift his head up again, then his neck, then his back legs and then last to come back was his front paws. All within the space of a few hours. Today he is absolutely fine. My vet is stumped. I really thought the first time would be a one off.

This is taken from my book of Rabbit Textbook Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown...

Quote:
"Floppy Rabbit Syndrome" is the colloqiual term for an idiopathic condition that affects pet rabbits causing generalized muscular weakness. The cause is not known, although several possibilities exist. These include, hypokalaemia and plant toxicity, or neurological, metabolic or muscular causes, which could be infectious, metabolic, congenital or nutritional in origin. A feature of this condition is the recovery that can take place. It is important to recognize the good prognosis and not euthanase rabbits in the initial stages. Interestingly, recovery usually takes place within 2-3 days, whatever treatment is perscribed. Supportive care, especially assisted feeding is required.

This is his condition down to the last T.
The vet had seen ten or so previous cases of FRS and basically knew all what I knew. Hes perscribed Baytril, dexadesren, steriods and Panacur (in case related to E.Cuniculi) but this time he did not need fluids.

I know hes going to be ok but am still upset as expected. I hate going through this especially watching him come round during the fits stage.

Please send healing vibes for my trooper. Hes going to come out of it I know (I didn't even panick when I found him and I am sure that helps him) but its still exhausting worrying, caring, fussing....

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my baby bunny rabbit,

Really odd, I found him collapsed in his run. We couldnt rule out broken back but it certainly wasn't toxic poisoning as the vet had suggested. Unfortunately my little bunny didn't recover from it and died the next day, I did syringe feed him during the night but he was just too small to cope with it :cry:

The vet had not come across it before so it was new to him, but we researched it and found that some bunnies do recover from it, it depends on the general health of the rabbit, age etc. We found a promising thing is to give them banana/tomato.

I don't think its that common thats why my vet didn't prescribe any medication specifically for frs (although panacur and metacam was given), the main thing you can do for them is critical care and nursing.

xx

Last edited:
Touch wood I have never had a case of Flopsy in any of my rabbits, but breeders that have buy Vitamin E capsules, open them and mix the contents in natural yogurt and syringe feed it to them, and that seems to help - maybe you could give viatmin E occassionally and tomatoes (cut them in half and he'll be more inclined to eat them.)

Heres a reference post on a Breeders forum written by an Australian Breeder - may be of interest

WHEN "FLOPSY" ISN'T A BROTHER TO MOPSY.

INTRODUCTION.
However in some rabbit breeding circles the term "flopsy" or "paralysis" refers to an often fatal rabbit condition. This condition is characterised by a progressive paralysis of a rabbit that will lead to death unless treated promptly.

Over the past few years a large number of rabbits have been lost to this condition. Since the condition was first noted, many different theories have been put forward about its cause, effect and treatment. This article traces the different theories, research and treatment that have evolved.

SYMPTOMS.
Unless you are familiar with this condition, often the first sign is an apparently healthy rabbit lying limp in its cage. Upon examination, the rabbit has little or no movement of any limbs and just "flops" in your hands. Sometimes the only sign of life is the small "twitch" of the nose. If you are alert for the condition you can often spot the early signs before the rabbit has progressed to total paralysis. If a rabbit is sitting quietly in the corner of its cage (in no apparent distress) I give it a gentle push. If the rabbit falls over and finds it difficult to regain its feet I immediately suspect Paralysis or Flopsy. Sometimes a rabbit can still be hopping around the cage but its hop seems a little unsteady and unbalanced.

The progression of the condition can vary between rabbits. Sometimes a rabbit can be perfectly healthy and yet an hour later is dead in its cage! Other rabbits can gradually get worse over several hours and remain in a paralysed state for several days. Rabbits with a rapid onset of the condition can rarely be saved.

I have found that most of the rabbits I lose are between four to ten weeks of age - when the doe is weaning them. However other people have found that they seem to lose adult rabbits. A rabbit that has recovered from Flopsy seems to be susceptible at any future time of stress and any offspring appear to be more likely to be affected by it. It also seems as though this condition occurs in certain "lines" of rabbits - often ones with small gene pools.

ALTERNATE DIAGNOSIS.
Breeders that are familiar with this condition can generally diagnose it accurately but there are a few other conditions that have similar symptoms.

Perhaps the most similar with regards to symptoms is hypocalcaemia that is a deficiency of calcium. This occurs most often in pregnant or lactating does. With this condition the rabbit is partially paralysed but tends to kick or twitch when handled. On examination the rabbit may display uncoordinated movements and a tremor on the body or limbs. The tremor or twitching can increase dramatically with handling or sudden noise. These rabbits can often be successfully treated with Calcium Sandos.

Another alternate condition is a broken or injured back. These rabbits usually hold themselves up by the front feet and drag their hindquarters. They may be incontinent and soil themselves. Also their condition does not seem to deteriorate over time.

EARLY THEORIES.
This condition was noticed about four years ago (1992). At first breeders were unsure whether the condition was contagious, caused by a spider bite, due to poisoning or to some type of deficiency. One of the first theories was that the condition was "head-down" disease caused by wooly-pod milkweed poisoning. The symptoms the rabbits displayed were very similar to this disease but access to this weed was difficult to trace. Spider or other insect bites were eliminated as the symptoms were different than previously noted. The condition did not appear to be contagious as only random animals were affected.

The WARCI organised a survey of breeders to try and find out if there were any common factors and the extent of the condition. The condition did not appear to be related to any particular pellets, feeding regimes, water, hutch type or age of rabbits. Some breeders reported that a few affected rabbits appeared to have recovered from the condition. These rabbits had generally been treated with high-energy vitamin supplements such as Nutrapet or Nutragel.

Some sort of diet deficiency seemed to be the most likely theory, possibly linked to certain lines of rabbits being "genetically" vulnerable to this deficiency. Murdoch University became involved and agreed to do tests on rabbits to see if they could discover any common factor. Rabbits that were affected by Flopsy, or died because of it were sent to the Uni for autopsy and tests.

Since rabbits treated with vitamin supplements sometimes recovered, breeders tried to discover which particular vitamin was the culprit. Early laboratory tests seemed to suggest a potassium deficiency and so rabbits were placed on banana diets!! However later tests seemed to discount this theory. Since hypocalcaemia (or low calcium) has similar symptoms many breeders began treating their affected rabbits with Calcium Sandos (an expensive and sticky treatment). This seemed to work sometimes but not always.

A BREAKTHROUGH.
Murdoch Uni found that some rabbits were deficient in Selenium but researchers found it difficult to find accurate base levels for these nutrients. By chance, an American vet visiting Murdoch University’s Veterinary School stated that in America they had found Vitamin E was necessary for the absorption of Selenium. Selenium is a mineral that functions as a part of an enzyme, glutathione peroxidase, that is involved in the removal or detoxification of peroxides, such as hydrogen peroxide, that are formed in tissues during normal metabolic processes. Vitamin E functions by acting as an inter – and intra – cellular antioxidant to prevent peroxide formation; thus Vitamin E and Selenium are very closely related in nutrition. The rabbit is interesting in that it apparently depends completely on Vitamin E for protection against peroxide damage. Both nutrients function by preventing tissue destruction by toxic peroxides formed during metabolism. In a deficiency of either Vitamin E or Selenium, tissue breakdown due to peroxide damage occurs. This results in destruction of muscle tissue (nutritional muscular dystrophy), infertility, reabsorption of foetuses and a variety of other effects..

PERHAPS THIS WAS THE ANSWER.

Armed with this knowledge we began treating our affected rabbits with Vitamin E and found that our success rate for treating these rabbits greatly improved.

AETIOLOGY
Vitamin E is an essential dietary requirement and one of its most important roles is as an inter – and intra – cellular antioxidant to prevent peroxide formation. In this capacity it prevents the oxidation of unsaturated lipid materials within cells. It is also logical to conclude that there is a positive correlation between fat input and vitamin E requirements to prevent peroxidation. The more active the cell – such as those of skeletal and involuntary muscles – the greater the inflow of lipids for energy supply and the greater the risk of damage if Vitamin E is limited. If skeletal muscles are involved, the effect is white muscle disease and the affected animals appear stiff or weak, often unable to rise or walk. If the myocardium (heart muscle) is affected, heart failure which appears as sudden unaccountable death usually results. Involvement of diaphragmatic or intercostals “breathing” muscles may lead to difficulty breathing and an accumulation of fluid in the lungs (secondary pneumonia).

TREATMENT.
When I first heard that a Vitamin E deficiency could be the cause of Flopsy I went to the Pharmacy and bought crushable Vitamin E tablets. Next time I had a rabbit go down with Flopsy (I didn't have to wait long) I mixed up the Vitamin E with some Natural Yoghurt and gave the mixture via a syringe. The recovery was almost miraculous! By next day the rabbit was hopping about his cage ready to go back with his mother. Other breeders tried the same remedy with generally good results.

Since then we have come a long way. I do not save all rabbits but at least I don't feel as helpless as I did before I found an effective treatment. Instead of using crushed Vitamin E tablets I now use Endeavon E a powdered horse vitamin E supplement. I get this from a stockfeeder, it is expensive but it lasts a long time. This Vitamin E powder (and perhaps all Vitamin E tablets?) cannot be mixed with water as it reduces its effect so I mix it with Natural Yoghurt.

As soon as I discover a rabbit with paralysis I give it a dose of Vitamin E. If it readily takes the mixture from the syringe and chews it up and swallows it I know I will probably save that particular rabbit. If the rabbit makes no attempt to swallow the mixture and allows it to dribble out of its mouth, the prognosis is very poor. I then prop the rabbit up in a carry box, using rolled material to hold up the rabbit’s head (in normal alignment) and to stop the rabbit falling over on its side. If it is cold weather I place the rabbit on a hot water bottle. Some rabbits recover very quickly, some take several days to improve. If they are only slowly improving I give the rabbit Nutrapet and water as well via a syringe. Once the rabbit has fully recovered and is returned to its hutch I continue to give them Vitamin E for a few more days.

PREVENTION.
Once we came to realise that our rabbits were dying because of a nutritional deficiency, breeders reviewed their feeding regimes. The recommended nutrient requirement for rabbits (amount per kilo of feed) for Vitamin E is 40mg at times of growth, gestation and lactation. Vitamin E is present in grains but heat processing of these foods destroys the vitamin and so Vitamin E should be added to the rabbits feed. Unprocessed wheat germ is an excellent source of Vitamin E but supply is sometimes limited and storage can be a problem (as weevils love it too). I have successfully used a powered horse additive Endeavon E but this is expensive and you can't be sure if the rabbits are eating it or wasting it.

I have found the best form of prevention is "yoghurt sandwiches". These are made by dampening bread with milk and then spreading the yoghurt mixed with vitamin E over the bread. The rabbits love them and at least I know they are getting the vitamin E. I give these to my pregnant and lactating does (particularly susceptible lines) every four or five days. Once the babies reach five weeks I give the yoghurt sandwich every two to three days until the babies are seven to eight weeks old.

Another factor is your breeding program. Some particular lines of rabbit seem to be affected to a greater extent than others. These lines are usually fairly closely line bred or where there are very few of a particular breed to work with. If I find a particular line or doe is susceptible to this deficiency I try to avoid breeding with them, or if that is not possible I try to outcross to a stronger line. Amazingly I have had litters where most of the babies die of Flopsy over a few days and yet a couple in the litter never show any signs of Flopsy and grow up strong and healthy and breed healthy babies.

Several other factors affect the amount of Vitamin E a rabbit requires or absorbs. Rabbits under stress need more vitamin E than those in less stressful conditions. Overcrowding, poor ventilation, transport, showing and weaning all increase the requirement for vitamin E. If feed selenium supplies are low, additional vitamin E may be required. The greater the content of fat in the rabbits food, the greater the need for Vitamin E. Poor quality feeds or ingredients that contain peroxidising fats increase the requirements for vitamin E. Grain stored in moist conditions or stored for a long period of time loses its natural vitamin E. Losses during pelleting are usually around 10 – 20%. However they can be as much as 50% if water is added to the mix (humidification).

CONCLUSION.
If you don't have a problem with paralysis there is probably no need to change what you are doing, but if you occasionally lose rabbits for no apparent reason, Flopsy due to Vitamin E deficiency is probably worth considering. If you do think that this may be affecting your rabbits then prevention is certainly better than cure. The key to saving your rabbits is careful observation, proper diagnosis and prompt treatment. If you find that you are losing a number of rabbits from this condition you need to look at your feeding regime and breeding practices.

(Sorry too big for one post! :oops: )

:( sorry not come across it but hope monty feels better soon

my two both eat tomato with no problem and both seem to enjoy it

i may be worng but doesnt banana have high leveks of potassium too? i know my buns go bad for s bit of nana although i suppose it is very sweet too so could be fed so often :? :?

yes! Bananas are the first thing that came to mind when I began reading. Mine loves a little when she gets it...I'll have to try her w/ tomato! :)

Someone said abot feeding advocado, but thats poisonous, so definetly don't try that!;)

Tomato or some banana would be better.;) Hope he never sffers from it again, poor bun, it does sound awful! :(

Someone said abot feeding advocado, but thats poisonous, so definetly don't try that!;)

Is it? I know it's highly poisonous to birds but it's been deemed safe to feed the flesh part (not the stone or skin) to rats. Very good at building up underweight ratties too.

Its also highly poisnous to dogs, its very fatty so I definetly wouldn't feed it to bunnies. Just checked out the safe food list on page 3 in the 'edibles' thread in the care reference section and avocado isn't listed as safe, nor unsafe. Personally due to the fat content I wouldn't feed it to buns who are delicate anyway.;) Especially as tomato and banana are good, safe sources.

Back