• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there certain breed of rabbit taming than others?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I want to know because I'm thinking of getting a pair of rescue rabbit, male and female sometime in the future, and I don't want them to fight.

In particular, how's the manner of those black/white dutch rabbit? Are they tame or mean character?

Last edited:
It really depends on the individual. In general, dwarf breeds are more hyper and less loving, but I've seen dwarfs that break that rule. Large breeds like New Zealands and Giants are supposed to be more calm and loving, but I've seen exceptions to that too. Dutch are supposed to be sweet and silly. Mine is, but I know others that aren't.

As far as my rabbits go, I have one super territorial princess of a Polish/nethie, one schizophrenic sweet/angry dwarf hotot, her sister who is super sweet, a goofy lovey dutch boy, and a friendly, active, somewhat skittish New Zealand.

If you're looking for rescue rabbits, your best bet is to choose them by their personality than getting set on one breed. If you want a bonded pair, you might be able to adopt a pair that's already bonded or do "bunny dating" so you can see which rabbits one other rabbit likes.

In my experience female Dutch are a bit nippy!! male not so much :lol: although I am sure there are many very lovely female Dutch out there :wave:

Apart from that they are all lovely :D :D :D

The Benjamin is my most tame loving bun. He will even give me a kiss when i ask him to :love:, and he is a male dutchie. Oscar on the other hand is also a male dutchie and very much the opposite!

If you're looking for rescue rabbits, your best bet is to choose them by their personality than getting set on one breed. If you want a bonded pair, you might be able to adopt a pair that's already bonded or do "bunny dating" so you can see which rabbits one other rabbit likes.

Okay, what's a step by step? I mean, you go to the rescue center, say you can spend an afternoon there. What would you do?

Just bring out a female and a male and see how they interact?

Any other pointers?

We have another thread in the Care section that they are mostly social animal and should get along fine. But I don't want to get a pair that try to kill each other.

the rescue should know what 2 will go together just chose one you like or there might be some pairs already bonded ect

not sure it is that simple when looking/choosing a bun or two, I was told that you will 'just know' when the right bun is for you, they hit your heart string good and proper. This was certainly true for me and it doesn't matter was size or breed or personality the bun is/has, you will just know he/she is for you;)

If your worried about bonding I would suggest that you find a pair that are already lurrvvved up;)

I don't think it's so much a breed thing as to whether they have a calm personality as it is an individual thing. My group of 4 sisters are all very different in personality, although from the same litter. One is bossy, one is shy, one is very calm and the other is very cheeky and intelligent.

Your best bet is to go along to a rescue and find a pair already bonded together, as bonding is difficult and sometimes they don't accept another rabbit. Find a pair that you feel interested in and happy to share your life with - and if there aren't any at the rescue one day you go, there may be on another day, so I would advise you to keep looking till you find a rabbit or a pair that you really like - Good luck :D

But surely they are all kept on separate cages, because some rabbit are spay/neutered and some are not. So why would there be a pair already bonded?

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

click "Adoption", then Browse, now click the Browse button, and tell me what you would pick.

In the UK most rescues neuter males and bond them to a female, who doesn't necessarily have to be spayed so long as the male has been done a couple of months before bonding. Also, like my girls, sometimes you will find a couple of sisters from the same litter already bonded in a pair. :)

Back