• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jack

drboo

Mama Doe
I haven't had Jack long, but I absolutely adore him :love: I never appreciated how wonderful rabbits are (and I kept a couple when I was a child :oops: ). Anyway, he has a couple of naughty problems - 1, he keeps weeing on the settee. I am trying to stop him jumping up, but if he manages it, he will wee!!! 2, he has started to chew on his cage bars at night. He woke me at 4am this morning. I wasn't going to check on him, as I thought he might think it was a reward, but then strated panicking that he had run out of hay/water etc. He hadn't!!! Do you think it might be because he is a single bun? I know that if I get him a girlfriend, he will have to move outside, but I want what is best for him. Thanks.

Last edited:
Rabbits are quite active at night so when you want to sleep Jack may want to play :lol:

Is he neutered yet ? If so then he may well benefit from having a Doe friend.
If you intend to move him outside then its best done now rather than in the Autumn as it will give him a chance to grow a nice thick coat to keep him warm in winter.

Janex :)

I have 1 rabbit and she's always indoor, so was my past bunnies. No problem there. But in general, they do get along better when it's a pair of male and female.

weeing on the sofa is his way of marking his territory... if he isn't already done, neutering should help the problem. Otherwise, you could always put a litter tray on the sofa when he is around - I do this when the foster buns come into the living room.

yuh mine pee on the sofa and hmmmm have never stopped - so much to my mums disgust thats where the litter tray is :lol: ...
And Janes right about them being active - I gave up and when they sleep with me - they have free range of my bedroom .... and the only ocassional noise I hear is them munching on my bed:lol:

I had heard that chewing on the bars was a sign on boredom? Does jack have lots of things to chew like willow toys, twigs etc.?

Yes Jack has lots of toys - he is abit ruined :oops: Last night was fine, but he had had the run of the house from 5pm until 12am, whereas the night before, he had only had a couple of hours!!! Maybe that was the problem. Tonight, let him jump on the settee, but had a towel ready and placed him on that straight away. No accidents yet, touch wood. Am really torn over the girlfriend situation, although OH has said no. Thanks for the advice :D

Willow stick, Ka-bob, Naturals carrot roll, carrot rattle - Jack isn't interested!!

Bars of cage - Jacks favourite toy :lol:

Went a mini splurge to buy yet more toys and treats, but it seems my bunny is like me - motivated by food :lol: He loves naughty treats, which I limit to 1 every few days, but he isn't intersted in the chew toys at all!!! Luckily I think the bar chewing is correlated to the amount of exercise time, and usually he is out all evening from 5pm until bedtime. He wiped himself out last night running through his new tunnel, and I never heard a peep...

Yes Jack has lots of toys - he is abit ruined :oops: Last night was fine, but he had had the run of the house from 5pm until 12am, whereas the night before, he had only had a couple of hours!!! Maybe that was the problem. Tonight, let him jump on the settee, but had a towel ready and placed him on that straight away. No accidents yet, touch wood. Am really torn over the girlfriend situation, although OH has said no. Thanks for the advice :D

:) Sounds like you have the situation sussed out now. Single buns living indoors with plenty of human company do not need a companion bunny, although it would be nice if it was possible. I'm sure he'd rather stay indoors with you (his girlfriend! :lol: ) as it sounds like he will get a more interesting life there. My outside bunnies have been locked up for over 2 days with this rain, and seeing to them has soaked me several times :roll:

You didn't say if he was neutered or not, but be aware that if you do go down this route he will still be fertile up to 2 months after neutering - no matter what your vet tells you! :)

Back