• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which is best?

drboo

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, there was a advert today on our work Intranet saying baby lop bunnies free to a good home. I enquired as to what he had available, and was told 1 black girl and 1 agouti boy. I told him that I already had 1 neutered boy, and he laughed and said thats what he should do, as he thought they were separate but found a way to the doe. I just said where there is a will there is a way, you can only prevent accidents through neutering. Anyway, the point is, IF I ever decide to get Jack a girlfriend, I always thought I would go to a rescue. But what about rabbits advertised like this -FTAGH because someone is irresponsible. If I took one of these rabbits, am I being unfair to a rabbit in a rescue, or am I saving a future rescue? :?

Last edited:
Its a tricky one. My rule of thumb would be - never give money for these sorts of rabbits, and will they be replaced by more? If its a genuine "accident" and the person is going to prevent it in the future, then I see no problem with taking a rabbit like this on.
I have two rabbits from the free ads that were "free to good home" - one of them was found as a stray.

I don't think you should be too high and moral about where a rabbit is rescued from - a rabbit in need is a rabbit in need. However you should be wary of getting such a rabbit if you are having to pay for it, as that will encourage the breeder to allow more 'accidents' to happen. Also, if you get one from a rescue you are supporting that rescue in the vital work it does.

Having said that, I got my job lot of piggies from the freeads, from a breeder who was giving up - she gave me the breeder unit too so I was confident she wouldn't be breeding any more. I knew she wouldn't give me 15 show piggies and a breeder hutch free, and I was determined not to let anyone else use them for breeding so I paid nearly £200 for them, including delivery by van from miles away. Some people would criticise this, but I look at my happy, healthy pigs, and at the tiny breeder unit they were all crammed into when I got them (now a tool store), and think I did the right thing.

Just follow your heart in such matters - there's no rules :)

The guy doesn't sound like he's breeding on purpose, he just sounds a bit ignorant of why it's not a good idea to be letting them breed. Even if you don't take one of the rabbits from him, perhaps you could arrange a visit and take him a leaflet or printout about neutering/rescues and explain why he should get them both neutered/spayed and bonded? I think if he's only going to do one and keep them seperate I'd recommend getting the female spayed though - it has greater health benefits and if the male isn't living with her he won't pester her all the time. He may try mating her if he escapes again but if she's spayed she obviously can't get pregnant.

I have 3 rabbits from free-ads and 3 from rescue...
My first 2 were free-ads that I got together, I did not pay for them and I was confident that the person was just immature and irresponsible - plus the rabbits really did need out!
My other free-ad bun was from someone who rescued him from a breeder, where he was being treated badly (he is very hand-shy and is confident walking on wire :roll: :evil: ) - they then wanted to find a new home for him. Because he is a sallander, and was equipped with a brc ring and testicles, I thought that he needed 'retiring' before someone else took it upon themselves to continue breeding with him :?

I have buns from free ads & rescues:D

The main plus point with rescuing though is that you get a "history" of the bun & it's temperment, & no unexpected costs - for example my free ad girls who gave birth hours after they landed at mine:shock: :lol:

Agree with that!!! :shock: rescue buns are usually cheaper in the end!
also neutering costs, lingering infections, worms etc. adds up

Agree with that!!! :shock: rescue buns are usually cheaper in the end!
also neutering costs, lingering infections, worms etc. adds up

i agree. Personally i'd still go for a rescue bun that had already been spayed, a lot less trouble and your rabbit gets to choose one that he likes. I would tell the person with the baby rabbits to get in touch with the rescue if he can't rehome them himself.

Back