• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Did your rabbit react to the VHD vaccine?

What sort of reaction did your rabbit have to the VHD jab?

• No reaction - he / she was fine

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Slightly off colour, but otherwise OK

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Very negative reaction - rabbit stopped eating, etc

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Local skin reaction only

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
A friend of mine has been off work today caring for one of her rabbits, who reacted very badly to his VHD vaccination yesterday.

Neither Jen nor Frankie suffered any side effects when they were vaccinated - I watched them both very carefully after their VHD jab, particularly as Frankie's brother had a bad reaction, but they both ate, drank and behaved as normal :D (a real relief!)

A negative reaction to the vaccine seems fairly common though, so I just wondering exactly what sort of percentage of RR buns had this reaction? Is there any way of minimising the chance that a rabbit will respond badly?

Re: the poll, If you have more than one rabbit, then please just vote for how the majority of your buns responded (and then maybe post the details if it varied from rabbit to rabbit? :))

Poll on it's way!

Last edited:
Rowan developed a 'vhd limp'. You should ask Jane about this- shes got lots of info from RU members!

Oops - I hope I'm not repeating an old topic :oops: I tried to do a search but 'VHD' was a letter too short, and 'reaction jabs' a bit vague :lol:

My 2 bunnies are constantly vulnerable to gut stasis. Both were slightly off colour afterwards, and one of them worried me a lot - fine by the morning though, so another disaster averted.

I was very concerned about Fudge when her had his vhd..
He wouldn't eat,drink and he was unsteady on his feet :( by the next morning though he was just fine ..

I was very concerned about Fudge when her had his vhd..
He wouldn't eat,drink and he was unsteady on his feet :( by the next morning though he was just fine ..

It was remembering Fudge's reaction that made me so nervous about Frankie, but he barely responded to it at all :? I had the indoor cage ready, I was so sure he'd have to come in over night!

Both mine were fine ...absolutely no reaction at all. I could vote only once though, so there should actually be another one on the "no Reaction" part!!:lol:

Please PM me with any details of a reaction to the CYLAP VHD Vaccine. Please include name of Rabbit + owner, Name and address of Vet, date of vaccination, details of side effects and how long they lasted aswell as any additional Veterinary treatment needed.
You need to ensure that it was CYLAP and not LAPINJECT that was given. I am in contact with the Cylap manufacturers Vet. He is undertaking an investigation into adverse reactions

Janex

All mine have been fine thank goodness. Had 3 under 3 months old done last week and all were well.

What is strange is that i remember oscar having a limp... and i am pretty sure it was soon after his vhd vaccination. He wouldnt put any weight on one of his front paws, vets checked him over, and his paw was ok and he was given an anti-imflammatory, he was fine the next day.. i suspect this too was 'vhd limp'.

Back