• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance

Kristy

Young Bun
Hi me again,

Just out of curiousity (i think thats how you spell it lol!), has any one got insurance for their pet buns and if so does it cover the teeth cutting?

has anyone got any useful insurance companies?

Ta :D

x

also i am pretty sure you have t pay an excess any way so dependent on how much it costs is it worth it?

just wanted to edit to say that i do not think insurance is not worth it in case any1 jumped on me :)

Last edited:
When you make a claim the vet has to fill in the form and state it isn't a pre existing condition. My policy has a £60 excess :roll:

I knew i have to pay an excess, just didnt know if teeth were covered,but as you say is it worth it.

where is your insurance from? or where is the best place to get some? any recommendations?

x

Some policies only have the excess per condition rather than per claim as such. So you'd pay the first £60 (or whatever it was) for the dental/x-rays/whatever they needed but nothing further even for repeated dentals or repeat x-rays.
Very important to read insurance policies carefully before buying - some won't treat a condition for more than a year or up to a certain monetary amount, some won't treat certain conditions, some have a time period before you can claim, etc.

I have a policy run by my vets that covers for anything as long as its not pre-existing. It has £25 excess and costs £4.85 per month, I get 10% off food etc from in the surgery and 10% off routine treatments too. Also 10% off the cost if I insure three or more pets. :D

WOW! thats really good.
My vets is companion care which is part of petsathome, and they dont do anything like that :(

just guess ill have to search the net alot

wow that is good I had petplan with thumper but since getting lily have decided to put away £30 each month into an account to spend towards their vet fees. Petplan doesnt cover much if you read through the policy - the things you would expect. although i know others feel it has been good for them! Thats fab from your vets i may see if ours are covered :) thanks !

My vet thinks its a bargain for bunnies because so much goes wrong, ie teeth, eyes and it can cost a fair bit when the bills mount up.

I'm not insuring Benny through the vets because hes had most things so theres not much point. I'll be insuring William as soon as his trial Petplan from the rescue has finished. All it takes is a 5 minute health check and so far Betty has come back fit as a fiddle.:D

I'm not sure the other plans are worth it, they seem to cost an awful lot and don't cover you for the things that will most probably go wrong.

Gemma xx

Back