• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald baby french lop

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
hi everyone:wave:
yesterday i took in 2 baby frenchlops 8 weeks old, one of the babies is losing all his fur:shock: i dont mean he,s moulting its literally falling out:shock: no new fur is growing back he,s had to stay indoors cos im worried he,ll get cold:cry: the little female has started losing her fur to, i took them to the vets he said it was mites but it doesnt look like mites has anyone else seen this happen ? apparently the situation they came from was really bad and the rspca are involved do bunnies loose their fur when very stressed advice would be appreciated

You can get loads of different kinds of mites, they will make the hair fall out with no obvious signs, there are mits of course which you can see. Has the vet given them some panamec?

I can't think of any other reason for hairloss

they have given them both panemec so hopefully that will help bless their little hearts they look very odd with no fur

they have given them both panemec so hopefully that will help bless their little hearts they look very odd with no fur

Aww im sure they will recover, i've noticed with some of mine if they have lost fur for one reason or another that it does take a wee while to grow back!

Not sure if rabbits can suffer from alopecia, but if they can then stress can cause the immune system to attack hair follicles leading to random or complete baldness............I had it last year after my dog died, but thankfully the hair is now regrowing.
Poor little buns....let's hope they start to chill out now they are in a safe place:)

One of my rabbits had all the fur on her back end fall out a while back. It grew back within a few weeks though. She never showed any other signs of being ill.

FHB has a section about moulting in her book, and says that lops are prone to moulting in clumps, sometimes leaving bald patches. Not sure if this is relevent if your babies are literally bald though :shock:

When I got Millie she had a large patch betwen her shoulder blades which loads of fur was missing I treated her with mites powder and that must have work as the fur started to grow back quite quickly. She can from not too great conditions aswell.

Back