• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could this point to EC???

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I've just read the house rabbit article on EC and it has got me thinking...

Benny has an ulcer on his eye, which we believe has been caused by the nasty infection that he has had.

I have also noticed that he is sometimes holding his down on the side where his eye is sore. Could this be because his eye is sore so he's holding his head to give a better view from his good eye?

Also, I think he has lost a bit of weight recently. Betty has put on a bit, so she could be eating more than Benny.

We're at the vets on Thursday, so I will ask what they think. But what do you think? Am I being paranoid? These articles can sometimes overly worry...

Gemma xx

The most common but by no way the full list of EC related symptoms are: head tilt, catarcts and blindness, hind leg weakness (and subsequent urine scold), lots of drinking & weightloss (symptomatic of renal problems) and loss of co-ordination.

If your rabbit is not respondong to treatment for an eye infection then it may be worth trying a course of panacur as a precaution. It certainly wont do any harm but i personally have not come across eye ulceration as the result of EC but maybe others have?

Thanks Sooz22. I'll definately speak to the vet about EC as I have noticed some weight loss and the water is going down faster, although the weather has been warmer. There seems to be another explanation for all his symptoms but better to be safe rather than sorry.

Is there any side effects with Panacur? I don't worm my buns as a routine thing so have no experience of it.

Gemma xx

None that I have come across and I routinely worm all my permenant rabbits and the rescues.

Some of them dont lke the taste though :roll: How long have they been treating his eye and what with?

Benny has been on Fucithalmic ointment three times a day and also Oxytet injections every second day for two weeks now. There has been an improvement in the amount of pus being produced, but they can't flush his left duct because his tooth root is pressing against it which was confirmed by a head x-ray. Bennys right eye is much better but is still a bit sticky, he is still keeping his left eye closed and its also still sticky. I think he is holding it closed because the ulcer is painful, but I am giving him Metacam for any pain.

Gemma xx

Awww bless the little guy. I dont think it is EC but like I said to be on the safe side.

Hope he feels better soon. X

Back