• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wondering what to do...

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Jen was at the vets the other day and he said she's quite skinny. I cant decide whether or not to help her put more weight on though. She isnt in the best of health, theres nothing obviously 'wrong' but 10 minutes run round the garden and she'll sleep the rest of the day. Also gets really breathless from this, to the extent that im usually worried by her breathing. I dont want to cut down her exercise at all, but will she kill herself?! :? Also on hot days, she cant cope at all compared to all the other buns Ive had, she struggles big time. This is more than likely down to her thick coat, but also probably not helped by her unhealthiness. Arrrgh what do I do?!! Xx

Hm..did you mention the breathlessness to the vets? Would expect it more from an overweight bun than underweight. Perhaps she's a bit lacking in tone of her muscles and needs encouraging to exercise a bit and she'd look more her ideal weight? I'm sure buns can be out of shape just like people :) Maybe if she bons with Rhia she'll become a bit more active

I give porridge to one of my french lops who lost a lot of weight. She finds the warm weather quite tiring, but loves having a potter in the garden. I know you sadly lot Tilly May and I wonder if you ever found out why, which might be of use if Jen is showing weight loss?

Karly, Didnt mention it to the vets as it wasnt the practice I normally use, just a quick vaccination session so they can go in boarding. I'll ask Zoey about it when I next see her though. Raine, Although we never had a pm done on Tills, it was believed to be a brain tumor/absess on the brain. She never lost weight with it though. Also, Your right about the toning etc Karly, she did have very weak back legs when she came to us, but small bouts of regular excersise sorted her out quickly. Confusing stuff eh?! :roll: Xx

Back