• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrohea - RIP JASPER XX

Kristy

Young Bun
Hi me again

yesterday afternoon jasper wasnt his usual jumpy self just hid away in his cage but i put it down to him just wanting to rest.

I have got up this morning and he's had diarrohea - what shall i do?
He is only 10 wks old and its probably becuase of me introducing a little bit of fruit to him - i'm really upset :cry:

Please can anyone help me xx

Last edited:
Hi me again

yesterday afternoon jasper wasnt his usual jumpy self just hid away in his cage but i put it down to him just wanting to rest.

I have got up this morning and he's had diarrohea - what shall i do?
He is only 10 wks old and its probably becuase of me introducing a little bit of fruit to him - i'm really upset :cry:

Please can anyone help me xx

It is ESSENTIAL that you take Jasper to your Vet straight away. Diarrhoea in Baby Bunnies is potentially life threatening. I am not saying this to try to add to your upset but to try to emphasise just how serious the problem may be and the sooner Jasper sees a Vet the better.
Good luck and please let us know how he gets on

Janex

I have managed to clean him up as he had poo stuck to his paws and bum. I just used warm water and cotton wool and he didnt mind me doing that.

However, he is grinding his teeth what does this mean?

My vets isnt open until 9 so will fone them then - im so worried. he has a bloated belly

Hi Guys
Thanks for your help this morning.

I have taken Jasper to the vets and they are keeping him in as they wanted to give him treatment and see how he goes - i am sooooo upset. I have only had him 3 and half days. The vet also said he had a bit of a runny nose.:cry:

I hope he will be coming home 2mw :(

Do you think he will be ok? honestly? has anyone had to deal with diarrohea before?

x

Hi Guys

I have taken Jasper to the vets and they are keeping him in as they wanted to give him treatment and see how he goes - i am sooooo upset. I have only had him 3 and half days. The vet also said he had a bit of a runny nose.:cry:

Do you think he will be ok? honestly? has anyone had to deal with diarrohea before?

x

I am so sorry that Jasper is very poorly :cry: You did the very best thing for him by getting him to a Vet. With Baby Bunnies just the stress of moving to a new home can be enough to trigger illness like 'snuffles' or a tummy upset. As Babies are so delicate they can deteriorate rapidly, especially if they have diarrhoea. Jasper is now in the best place to get the treatment he needs. I am sure your Vet will do absolutely everything possible to get him better. But I would not be being honest if I did not say that, from what you describe, Jasper is a VERY poorly baby Bun and so I could not PROMISE you he'll get better. The fact that you got him to a Vet promptly gives him a fighting chance. Please keep us updated about him

Janex

Last edited:
Hi Guys

x

Hi Kristy,

When i brought my two 8 week old frenchies home from Wales, Milo got diarrehea overnight as well. I was distraught and really thought i was going to lose him. I took him to the emergency vets and they kept him in for 3 days! I wont tell you what the bill was but lets say just get prepared for it! It was well over £200!! :shock: But he was worth it and he's absolutely fine now.

I had to give him Fibreplex for a week after he came home, and made sure he had lots of hay and water. The vets had actually given him some fresh dandelion leaves so i continued with this - i wrapped his fibreplex in the leaves as feeding him by his mouth just distressed him even more.

I'm sure Jasper will be fine, i have every faith in vets after what they did for Milo.

Please keep us updated

xx

Hi Kristy,

Just wanted to say I hope Jasper gets better very soon. Please keep us updated!

Thinking of you and jasper :):wave: xx

Hi :wave: Everyone

Thanks for all your lovely comments.
Its so hard not to try and let it get to me - and yeah i know the vets bill is going to be high - but as you say its worth it if they save him from this horribliness.

love to you all

xxx

Hi again Kristy, i know what you mean about worrying, i did nothing but the same for 3 days, but i knew he was in the best possible place.

I forgot to say that Milo grinded his teeth as well which meant he was in pain, but the vets soon sorted that out as well.

You'd never think Milo had been so poorly now, he's a bundle of fun and has put lots of weight on since coming out of the vets.

I really do believe Jasper will be ok xx

Where did you get him from? Was he from a pet shop? If so, you should inform them that he is poorly so they can tell their supplier.
My mum bought us a baby rabbit from a pet shop years ago and that became very poorly after a few days. Unfortunately he died. We went back to the shop and they said the whole litter had died, it was very sad.
The trouble with pet shops is that you don't know where they come from and how healthy the parents are. That is why a lot of people prefer to go to a rescue or rehoming centre as they would make sure the rabbit was healthy and vaccinated before you bought it.

I got Jasper from Petsathome and they have a vets there who i trust from previous pets and therefore that is where Jasper is now.
Petsathome have been very good and are paying for Jaspers treatment for today and tomorrow especuially as his free check up was due tomorrow.:(

The room seems so empty without him - i hope that i will see him 2mw

xx

Is this vet a rabbit savvy vet?

I really hope he will be ok Kristy, but i'll be honest and say my view of P@H is not good at all :?

Its taken me 3 vets to eventually find one who knows bunnies inside out - they actually treat and see bunnies for a local rabbit rescue (The Bunny camp sanctuary) so i know i can trust them, and i knew Milo was in good hands.

Lets hope this vet knows what he's doing, as if this is not treated properly then Jasper doesnt have a good chance.

Sending you hugs and vibes (((())))

Hi,

I have every faith in this vet to be honest and i know you cant say that about too many either.

I have just spoken with them and they say jasper is now eating a little and is only having a little diarrohea - which is good :)

They have said for me to call in the morning to see how he is - fingers crossed X

xx

Morning Guys

Just to let you know - the vet has just called me and has said that Jasper is all ok and that i can collect him this evening.

He has had no diarrohea and seems very happy - and all clean too lol!

Thanks for all your support - much appreciated

xx

Back