• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dermot is Very Poorly- U/D 15th June

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Dermot developed abdominal pain last night. He was not bloated but his guts were very full. There were some gut sounds.
He had Metoclopromide, Metacam, Infacol and Tummy rubs. During the night he became even more gassy and his stomach began to bloat, although only slightly. Throughout the night he has had fluids, more Infacol and tummy rubs.
He is still bloating and his guts are still very full. I cannot feel an obvious obstruction but it is a possibility. Dermot will see Christobel this morning. At the moment things are not looking at all hopeful :cry:

Has anyone had a good outcome from surgery to a Bun with a GI obstruction?
Over the years I have had 5 Rabbits on whom it was attempted, none survived :cry: I dont think I could put another Bun through an op' which is unlikely to be successful.................:cry: :cry:

I feel like :censored: and that I am failing my Rabbits :cry:

Please send vibes for Dermot, I really dont want to loose him but neither do I want him to suffer

Janex :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Sending loads of healing vibes for Dermot. Jane you are a great bunny mummy, thinking of you xxx

I swear my Bunnies are going to cause me to have a heart attack !! Having been up ALL night with Dermot I arranged to take him down to Christobel this morning. He was still in pain, not eating or pooing and slightly bloated. His guts were VERY full. Just as I was going to get the Pet carrier I noticed Demot looked less 'tucked up' and his ears were in relaxed mode. I had another feel of his guts and NO BLOAT, good gut sounds, and the impacted poo had moved. I put him back in his pen and he started to eat some dandelion leaves :shock: :D :D
I REALLY thought he may have obstructed, I feared he was going to go the same way as Millie :cry:
Thankfully it now looks as though Dermot has responded to treatment :D He has done a few small poos and I am hopeful he will continue to improve

He is very grateful for all your get well vibes :D

Janex

Last edited:
How common is it for buns to get such serious tummy problems for no reason? I'm really paranoid about it after Nina got bloat, but I've only ever seen it before that in baby buns that had their food changed too quickly by the idiot manager at my old job :roll:

I swear my Bunnies are going to cause me to have a heart attack !! Having been up ALL night with Dermot I arranged to take him down to Christobel this morning. He was still in pain, not eating or pooing and slightly bloated. His guts were VERY full. Just as I was going to get the Pet carrier I noticed Demot looked less 'tucked up' and his ears were in relaxed mode. I had another feel of his guts and NO BLOAT, good gut sounds, and the impacted poo had moved. I put him back in his pen and he started to eat some dandelion leaves :shock: :D :D
I REALLY thought he may have obstructed, I feared he was going to go the same way as Millie :cry:
Thankfully it now looks as though Dermot has responded to treatment :D He has done a few small poos and I am hopeful he will continue to improve

He is very grateful for all your get well vibes :D

Janex

Jane Thats how Bella was all last night, then about 2.30 am she got up started drinking and eating, as if nothing was wrong, she has been fine all morning

Jane Thats how Bella was all last night, then about 2.30 am she got up started drinking and eating, as if nothing was wrong, she has been fine all morning

I think my lot conspire to see who can frighten me the most !! :? :roll: So far Dermot is winning!!

Janex

I think my lot conspire to see who can frighten me the most !! :? :roll: So far Dermot is winning!!

Janex

My two are always ill when the vets are closed, they wanted £90 call out charge last night plus any treatment

Thats so good about Dermot, im watching Bella like a hawk at the mo she on bunny cam in the lounge:)

I can't help but think back to my little Marcy who had terrible 'bloat' two times in 3 days, apparently the prognosis is much poorer for the bunnies who get several episodes of bloat in close succession.

I was at my wits end nursing her as it was so intensive and then when it happened again 2 days later, I thought it was an obstruction. My vet thought so too, xray was rather inconclusive (possibly just solid gas and undigested food etc) but we made the decision that Marcy was so unwell that surgery would be at a high chance of failing. So we treated her as standard as a case of bloat and continued administering prepulsid, metaclopramide, fluids and syringe feeds.

She got better! So it wasn't an obstruction. I agree that 'true' bloat is scarily like an obstruction as the tummy protrudes and goes brick hard.

Anyway, back to my point, my vet says abdominal surgery has an extremely poor survival rate. But I am glad I didn't do it to Marcy as it wasn't needed, just severe gas and food which passed with drugs, warmth and fluids fluids fluids

Back