• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy update

lynseybrown

Warren Scout
Well its all over Daisys back home in my bedroom as its really quiet in there and i though she would need the peace. When i phoned to make sure she was ok at 1pm i was told she was still asleep and the same at 3pm and shes really sleepy still at the moment is this normal?? Ive put her on vet bed and a pet warm pad wrapped in a fleece blanket to keep her warm is this ok. The vet said that if she hasnt started eating by tomorrow to take her back and they will give me some science recovery for her but if she does start i need to take her for a check up on wednesday. What i would like to know is should i put hay in her cage as well as pellets for her and ive read somewhere that putting water in a bowl rather than in a bottle makes it easier for them???
Thankyou all

Hi lynsey. Put a water bowl near her, and also make sure she has some hay and some of her favourite greens, apple, carrots..anything that might tempt her. She will be dozy for a couple of hours but she should be awake by now, although she'll tend to be very quiet and still. Has she moved about at all since you brought her home?

She has moved around a bit but not loads just moving from one part of her cage to another, shes drunk about half a bowl of water but still hasnt eaten anything shes sniffed it but it doesnt seem to interest her. :roll: if she hasnt eaten anything by this afternoon im going to take her back to the vets like they said yesterday or is this too late??

what have you given her to eat? Rabbits sometimes go off dry food after operations, she may eat some fresh picked grass or a dandelion leaf.

shes got some pellets in her cage but after reading on here i guessd she wouldnt eat them so i put her some hay, grass and dandelion leaves in but shes only interested in her water bowl, shes sniffed them and thats about it:roll:

Does she normally have carrots? I found Mary would never refuse grated carrot after a dental, though obviously if she's not had them before you might upset her tum. I wouldn't give loads though as carrots are sugary so can slow down the tum but if she likes it you could try mixing pellets or other veg in with it

The problem ive got is Daisy has always refused to eat veg ever since ive had her from 8 weeks old and now shes coming up to a year so im limited on what to tempt her with, she does however like pineapple juice so should i try giving her some??? i hate seeing her like this i know ive done the right thing and it will prolong her life, but on the upside she has had a nose rub this morning which she always loves so thats a good sign just need her to eat now otherwise its a trip to the vets again later

I'd imagine like most fruit juices it'd be quite high in sugar so I wouldn't really want to recommend feeding it :?

Pineapple juice is fine, I give my buns a bit every month to help pass fur through the stomach. You can give her fresh apple juice as well if she will drink it. Do you have any fresh herbs? You could try her with parsley or basil. Most buns love parsley.

Make an appointment for late afternnon at the vets and if she hasn't eaten by then take her. The vet will give her painkiller and a gut stimulant to make her hungry, Try not to worry too much as its normal for them to not want to eat after spaying. The vet may give you some science recovery to syringe feed her. She will feel much better when she starts eating.
Have you tried banana? Most rabbits love that too!

If she normally likes pineapple juice then try her with some fresh pineapple..or even a chunk of tinned(in its own juice) pineapple. You could always try to "annoy" her into eating something, as I've seen people suggest on the forum. Just keep pushing the hay at her mouth and hopefully she'll get annoyed and bite it which then might lead to her eating some...that's the theory anyway. I'm glad to hear that you've booked her into the vet this evening, she may need another painkiller.

Back