• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem getting hay - national shortage?

Neil-and-Maria

Warren Veteran
Hello

Has anyone else had a problem getting hay?

We just went to our usual supplier who has just informed us that we cant get a bale of hay due a national shortage. Apparently the old hay is running out and the newly cut hay in the fields is still drying out and it may be one or two months before they have any more in stock.

We were lucky as they gave us a bale they were saving which should last us a month. We are now hoping for dry weather so the farmers can make the bales quickly!

Maria

There were loads of bales at the farmshop I get mine from when I went past it last. Suppose if we run out, all the buns will be having gourmet timothy hay or other imported hays for a while :lol:

I'm not aware of any at the moment. Got a bale last weekend. Am having more trouble getting hold of Megazorb - just had to order some online, as I haven't been able to get hold of it locally for weeks.

We are really struggling to find more hay. As we usually use a bale a day this is a big problem. We are down to about 6. After they run out goodness knows what we are going to do......
The last lot we had to buy wasn't good quality either:(

It may just be that your particular suppliers source has been ruined by flooding or similar and they haven't managed or don't want to source from elsewhere due to cost. If they have a deal with a supplier for huge quantities they can make a profit but if they go elsewhere quite often they don't even break even when selling on :? If they increase prices they run the risk of losing customers but if they say there is a shortage the customer is more likely to return;)

My OH went to the farm to get me bale a couple of weeks ago and came home with 3 bales as they were all they had left!

All of the hay I have been getting lately is old. Then a couple of weeks ago a batch of DELIGHTFUL smelling fresh stuff came in, and my buns were in HEAVEN!!!!! But the supplier has gone back to the old stuff now, which is annoying as the buns obviously don't enjoy it anywhere NEAR as much!:cry: :cry:

Was just thinking about this thread today when a lorry drove past with huge numbers of bales of hay on the back! :lol: I wonder if it's only in certain areas that there's a problem? :?

I hastily ordered 10 bales of the dust free hay this morning :oops: :roll: after having read this thread. I'm down to the last two anyway!
I don't know what supply is like round here, as mine are so enamoured of the dust free variety that I don't buy any others.

I've recently brought ten bales of the dust free hay, so that should keep me going, for oooo, about ten days :roll: (OK, Frankie isn't quite that bad, but it does feel like it sometimes! :lol: )

I've not heard anything about there being a particular shortage, although I dd notice that my local pet shop had switched to a different supplier (and it's horrible hay :(). Maybe that's related?

I now have visions of everyone on here panic buying, expecting deliveries and buying extra sheds to keep all the emrgency stock in:lol:

For those of you near Cheshire, I have a good supply (I have horses) if anyone is desperate.

It's pretty good stuff :D My older horse has a chest problem and it's fine for him. No complaints from the buns/piggles either.

Just been chatting to our Hay guy's. Things look very bad for the next 12 months.

Current supply problems will continue and the new season british hay if they get a chance to cut it will be VERY BAD QUALITY.

This is a nationwide problem as nobody seems to be able to get any hay from anywhere atm.

Our companies are now switching to plan B for meadow hay's to secure our requirements for the next 12 months. More info when we have it.

oooh dear:shock:
i bought a bale a few days ago and was appalled at the quality of what they had there(stables/saddlers) i chose the best of what they had but its nothing like as nice as usual:( .....i didnt realise this was the problem though. i was surprised as they normally have lovely green fresh stuff........
i use a bale about every fortnight and cant bear the thought of not getting any.....:shock:
im going to get some more hemcore this week so i'll ask at that place what they have got.

just thought id say that i am going to stock up on some readigrass. i buy it in the winter anyway but as its lovely and dry and sealed its worthwhile having some in especially if theres going to be a shortage. its easier to store than bales of hay too.

I don't seem to have a problem :D I buy approx a bale a week and it's lovely stuff from my local pet shop and they get it from a local farmer

I am going to get to the petshop on sunday - I hope and bulk buy :roll: - however much bulk buying having to carry the stuff on public transport...I just hope they have some :? and the thing is - wouldnt be so bad... except because of the wet weather I am getting through so much more of it.

Back