• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Backup plans

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
Another nosy question :roll: :lol:
What sort of backup plans do you have if you became ill and couldn't look after your buns (either temporarily or permanently)?
Thankfully I've got a few animal-y friends who I know would help me out and I've agreed to do the same for them should anything happen to any of us, even if it means inheriting several critters for a while until they were rehomed/returned to their rescue or breeder. It's reassuring to know that if the worst happened there'd be someone able to care for them!

I think this must worry everyone.

I really don't know what I'd do. My O/H would look after them temporarily until alternative arrangements could be made.

I have a few rabbit owning friends in Nottingham who would probably help out temporarily.

There's always RU! :lol:

I think Sh*tty would have to PTS if I couldn't care for her :cry: She needs constant attention due to her leaky bladder :cry:

I got my usual petsitter & best mate - & bloke would help out. I'd never be that ill anyway:lol: I nearly died once, & apart from the week i stopped in hospital (& someone stepped in for the horses), I walked 6 miles a day every day to see to my horse;). Mum & Dad have a key & care instructions for the buns, as does bloke & best mate - so any short-term problem would be covered.

If I was dying, I'd rehome personally & with the Rescues I got the buns from originally.

If i became terminally ill and couldn't look after them then Dexter would have to go back to Jill (with Amber hopefully as they are now bonded) and I would see if she could help me rehome Hobbes and Phoebe for a generous donation. If i was just temporarily ill then i would hope my friends would come and help with them. I should make a will really, i did have one but ripped it up when i split with my ex. I don't really like thinking i'll die before my bunnies though :(

My sister would look after them, but if i died I expect someone would probably come on RU and ask one of you to adopt Audrey. That would be my preference, or for her to go to a rescue that homechecks.

My two are from different rescues, and because Snoopy has come down all the way from Kayj, I would probably give him and Penny back to Briar Patch. Or if Eve is ok with it, ask ARC to rehome them.
If I am only ill for a while, my bf would look after them. If both my bf and I were ill, my ex would have to come over and look after the kids, and he would also look after the bunnies. Luckily I only have two, so it isn't a whole day of work to look after them.

My OH would look after them, if he couldn't my sister would or they would go back to Eve for rehoming :cry: Awful to think about :cry:

Gisela, I'd be happy to take your two, I love your buns, especially little Penny :D :D

My OH would look after them, if he couldn't my sister would or they would go back to Eve for rehoming :cry: Awful to think about :cry:

Gisela, I'd be happy to take your two, I love your buns, especially little Penny :D :D

Ok, sorted. :D But hopefully it will never get that bad that I have to give them up.

Sadly this is something I have to put into place at the beginning of this year. It meant that I had to rehome/return some of my gorgeous babies :( :( :( (I miss them so much :( ). I have been very lucky, with the help of RU and Jill, they have at least gone to super homes.

My remaining rabbits/guinea pigs have a life long home here under the back up care of my mum. She has been amazing...and is now as much in love with my babies as I am! She does have her faves though (which is naughty!).... Alfie and Len! :lol:

For me, sending them back to rescue isn't really an option.

Smokey, Abby and Sh*tty came from a rescue which doesn't care for rabbits particularly well.

Crunchie was from Freecycle, so isn't going back to her previous owners who starved her, and let their dogs terrorise her.

Winston doesn't belong to me....so he could go home to London, but it would mean splitting him and Sh*tty up :cry:

I think Sh*tty would have to PTS if I couldn't care for her :cry: She needs constant attention due to her leaky bladder :cry:

I'm sure someone on RU would be willing to take her on, leaks 'n' all! :) By the way, have your vets tried medicating her for it? When Mary had suspected kidney problems they said they do a medication for incontinent cats/dogs which would be safe to use on him too

I'm sure someone on RU would be willing to take her on, leaks 'n' all! :) By the way, have your vets tried medicating her for it? When Mary had suspected kidney problems they said they do a medication for incontinent cats/dogs which would be safe to use on him too

She's only had antibiotics for her recurring cystitis and metacam to help with the inflammation.

Do you know what the name of the medication is? Also, how does it treat the condition? I think Sh*tty's problem is caused by her arthritis and calcium sediment in her bladder.

Would be fantastic to find a cure, or even something that would help a bit. :D

Amy

I can't remember I'm afraid, but it was made for dogs and cats with incontinence so I'm sure the vets would stock it or have information on it.
I looked into a low-calcium diet for Mary too, which might be worth researching if you haven't already. Things like cutting out veg high in calcium or swapping Readigrass for timothy chop, and switching to a timothy-based pellet rather than alfalfa.

Sh*tty is on low calcium veg, but she needs high calorie pellets cos she's so skinny. She's so thin you can see her spine and pointy hip bones through her fur. ATM Burgess junior are her pellet of choice :lol: .

(Please don't think I'm being cruel by not having her PTS...she's a real fighter and eats like a horse :lol: )

I have no family or friends (if you read the other threads you may remember I'm wierd and my mum euthanised my gran :roll: ) so I break out in a sweat worrying what would happen to my lot if anything happened to me :? I remember I got really ill once and begged my ex-husband (childminding while I threw up) not to let the local animal sanctuary have the pigs - they are awful! I wasn't worried about my son - his dad would have him - but nobody to look after my other babies!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just posted mine in the do people think your wierd thread :lol:

I dont think my family would keep my bunnies if I suddenly died or anything. If I was getting ill and knew I wouldnt be able to continue looking after them I would obviously find them homes :( If I ever had problems with having to move suddenly or anything I could definetly keep the bunnies at my familys homes.

Just incase I do die or anything I have a list at home of the bunnies favourite foods, toys and a paragraph on each of their personalities. A page on what would be a good home because they must homecheck, and a page on why they cant be seperated from the pairs and have to live in the hutches and runs they are in now (unless they are being moved to something bigger) And a list of what everything in the first aid box is for, and a list of questions that a new owner would have to answer. This website is stuck on the fridge and all the lists I have made and I have put a few peoples usernames down too just incase :D

I do worry a lot as im not close enough to you guys for someone who I know would give my bunnies the best homes to take them :cry:

:

Just incase I do die or anything I have a list at home of the bunnies favourite foods, toys and a paragraph on each of their personalities. A page on what would be a good home because they must homecheck, and a page on why they cant be seperated from the pairs and have to live in the hutches and runs they are in now (unless they are being moved to something bigger) And a list of what everything in the first aid box is for, and a list of questions that a new owner would have to answer. This website is stuck on the fridge and all the lists I have made and I have put a few peoples usernames down too just incase :D

Wow that's a great idea! - but a bit scary :shock: Very responsible - I must do the same ASAP :)

Wow that's a great idea! - but a bit scary :shock: Very responsible - I must do the same ASAP :)

Im a bit of a freak :oops: No really I saw a girl get hit by a car a couple of years ago and go over the top, luckily she recovered but it took a while. And she was on the pavement so its pretty scary, anything can happen :(

My two are from different rescues, and because Snoopy has come down all the way from Kayj, I would probably give him and Penny back to Briar Patch. Or if Eve is ok with it, ask ARC to rehome them.
If I am only ill for a while, my bf would look after them. If both my bf and I were ill, my ex would have to come over and look after the kids, and he would also look after the bunnies. Luckily I only have two, so it isn't a whole day of work to look after them.

Snoopy would have to go back to kayj ;)

I know all of my furries would either be looked after by my o/h and if he couldn't then they would probably end up at Kays as I know they would be well cared for there and well loved!! :D Plus, as I had Rudy from Kay he would have to go back there - bless him! Hard life :lol:

Back