• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What've you had to treat your buns for?

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
Before RU, I never realised there were so many things that could go wrong with rabbits! I knew about myxi and VHD, and teeth problems, but things like coccidia, EC, mammary tumours etc were all news to me.
What problems have you had to treat your buns for that you'd have had no idea about pre-RU?
Joey had the symptoms of coccidia when he was younger, and Mary had suspected kidney problems though we never did get to the bottom of it :? Touch wood Ben's been fine and hopefully I won't be learning the names of any horrid diseases he might catch anytime soon!

I had to treat Scipio's runny eye (which he came to me with) and Nitro's nasty worms (which he also came to me with!)...
other rabbit vet trips have been for neutering and to glue Beauty's cut.

Mine never had anything exotic. I didn't even know about flystrike before I moved to England and started reading the RSPCA booklet.

Core blimey well lets see, we've had VHD, toxins in grass, Kidney and liver disorders, Myxi, blindness, Bloat, Strokes, EC, abcesses of various kinds, neuterings, fevers, tear duct problems, i think if you name it we have probably had it at some piont!

Benny's brother died of a blockage from chewing the roofing felt of a box I'd lovingly bought my new bunnies :cry: Not helped by grooming his dominant brother who was moulting - I had no idea moulting was such a dangerous time for them.

And the super expensive hay I bought my next lot of bunnies turned out to be really expensive when Maa got a bit lodged in her gum, which then worked its way slowly through her head and out through her eye socket, blinding her in the process :shock: £550 and months of nursing :shock: Who would have thought it? :rolleyes:

I've no idea what Tia died from - she was fine one minute, ate her breakfast etc. then collapsed. vet could find nothing wrong with her and she was dead in my arms 2 hours later - I couldn't afford to take her to Leeds for a post mortem :cry:

um have been to the vets for the regular vaccs and neutering other then that only had to treat for stasis (both bunnies have had that) duchess = teeth burring and eye drops for when she got hay in her eye

I have been lucky so far, 3 years and no illnesses. Hobbes had a treatment of Panacur when he went near one of the foster rabbits who then had suspected EC but it turned out the foster bun was fine after all.

Eye abscess, side abscess x2, ear abscess, possible bloat, & swollen balls after neuter. i been lucky:D

Eye abscess, side abscess x2, ear abscess, possible bloat, & swollen balls after neuter. i been lucky:D

Abscesses seem to be quite common in bunnies, I think I remember that one of my first bunnies had an abscess on her back at one point. But I was quite young then. Do cats get abscesses a lot, too? Or is it a bunny thing? Oh, and I think one of my first bunnies also had ear mites when I got them.

Abscesses seem to be quite common in bunnies, I think I remember that one of my first bunnies had an abscess on her back at one point. But I was quite young then. Do cats get abscesses a lot, too? Or is it a bunny thing? Oh, and I think one of my first bunnies also had ear mites when I got them.

Ooo mites - I've treated that a few times in Alex:roll: & in about 3 fosters

Mostly not since I joined RU but....

GI stasis
Muccoid enteritis
Retro-bulbular abscess
Chest infection caused by Pasteurella
Blocked tear ducts caused by Pasteurella
Overgrown incisors (caused by an accident when bunny's front teeth were broken off)
Molar spurs and mouth infection caused by said molar spurs
Lice
Pin worms
Fleas
Possible EC
Kidney failure with anaemia.
Cystitis & bladder crystals (connected)
Arthritis (and deformity of the 'wrist' caused by said arthritis)
Badly torn ear (which had to be stitched up)
Mites (next doors rabbit, which I paid for )

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Think I try to blank it all out :lol:

One of mine - nothing at all since i first got him a year ago. Although the nurse did show me how to cut rabbits nails the first time as I wasn't very confident.

Rolo - 2 UTIs, 1 runny eye and nose. And she still seems to be a bit 'not right' and is quite thin. She is due to go back next week for another weigh in.

Lola - recurring eye infections since we got her - drops and tear duct flushing
Frida - bout of GI stasis
Bracken - nothing :D
Zeb - bout of GI stasis
Gus (do you really want the full list?)
mites x too many times to remember
retrobulbar abscess
swollen lump after neuter (not helped by some abseiling trick he was attempting at the time)
savaged posterior needing 7 stitches after Lola decided he wasnt allowed the spring greens she fancied for her supper
bacterial infection round aforementioned scar
hurt foot after leaping out of sink whilst cleaning his sticky bum
had to also ring the vet after he ate poisonous tomato leaves, and also when we thought he'd ingested killer quantities of ant poison. thankfully he was ok :D
almost forgot that Gus has had cystitis 3 times as well :(
he's also partially sighted and partially deaf too poor bunny but still as cheeky as ever
and betty had head tilt before she died :(

ps every time i read this thread i remember another problem with Gus - he's had a dental too (at the same time as the stitches)

well he just bounces back every time - he's such a brave boy unlike Mr Wimpy Zeb.

when he had his first op for his retrobulbar abscess, he came round and apparently was lying down (he was too shaky to stand up) with his head in the food bowl scoffing away :lol: frances harcourt-brown couldnt believe how quick he recovered :D

every time he gets another ailment i dread ringing the insurance company but they have been great and his premiums havent really altered despite his numerous problems. the vet did say that she thought perhaps his mum & dad were also brother & sister :lol: and she's probably right :(

Blimey:

Mites
Dental problemsX2
EC
Fleas
Eye infectionsX4
Blocked tear ducts
Infected plumbs X3
Split spey scar
Broken leg
Tumours
SnufflesX2
Pnemonia
Gut Inflammation
Cystitis X3

Everyday i count my blessings that bloat & stasis isnt on this list.

Back