• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do people think you're weird?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I know we're all a bit mad about bunnies here or we wouldn't be here but do people think it's odd or even OTT the way you are about your bunnies. I love mine so much it's very hard not to jsut pick them up and hug them to death! Something about soft little bunnies that provokes some maternal instinct or something and I just want to cuddle them even though they don't like it much (so I obviously don't unless they want it).

I could spend forever lying down stroking Charlie's nose or cuddling Jack rubbing behind her ears. It's so satifying to hear them grinding their little teeth and slowly drifting off because of me.

Does anyone else get comments (other than the usual "ooh rabbit stew" or "it's just a rabbit, they smell and are boring and just sit in their hutches all day") from people who really do think you love your bunnies a bit TOO much? We all make sacrifices for our bunsters (neutering and vaccinations alone are expensive let alone the mansions we house them in, litter trays, highest quality food, toys and treats) but why is it that some people just don't understand WHY we do it "just for a rabbit"...

Thankfully most of my friends just except that I am mad about my bunnies,although they did see it as rather odd that as a 16 year old I spent £200 not on clothes, but a shed for the bunnies....:lol: :lol:

My neighbours are probably more the ones who think I am odd, which is okay as I jsut remind myself that I aint the one who collects Nazi helmets!

Yeah people think I am a bit strange. I dont have any human babies but when friends talk about their kids I talk about mine. They are my furry babies and they are treated that way, not just as pets. I think people think rabbits are really boring because they just sit in hutches all day doing nothing but I tell people they are so wrong. Mine have a great indoor house, they sit and watch tv with us and give us so much love!
Tracy
(I have just re read this thread and I am not surprised people think I am a little mad. Ah well!)

Yeah people think I am a bit strange. I dont have any human babies but when friends talk about their kids I talk about mine. They are my furry babies and they are treated that way, not just as pets. I think people think rabbits are really boring because they just sit in hutches all day doing nothing but I tell people they are so wrong. Mine have a great indoor house, they sit and watch tv with us and give us so much love!
I love the way Rory bounces all over me and smothers me wit kisses but hides when visitors come. It really makes me feel like a mummy.
Tracy
(I have just re read this thread and I am not surprised people think I am a little mad. Ah well!)

Yes. But not just because of the bunnies ;)
I feel exactly the same way Tracy. My bunnies are my babies. The o/h and I haven't had a long holiday together yet (4 and a half years) as I don't like leaving them :roll:

People at work think I'm mad, but the main reason is because I took them in from someone else at work, and have spent a fortune on vets bills etc etc. So basically, I think they think I'm insane and a complete mug!!! :shock: They just don't understand how much I love them though.

I AGREe WITH WHAT YOu HAVE ALL SAID - PEOPLE THINK I AM MAD YET THEY TALK about cats and dogs like i do with the bunnies. I have friends who ask me advice about bunnies though and then i just come on here and find out lol :) i didnt realise how much i knew until people started quizing me lol :)

Yup, I usually get told to shut up and stop talking about the bunnies, but I cant help it, they're just too cute!

People think I am nuts for a variety of reasons, however the bunnies really do make them think I am nuts. I am the only one out of my group of friends who doesn't have children. My bunnies and other furries are my children. And would still be even if I had human babies. I just adore them. Buddabun I know what you mean about them bringing out a maternal feeling. I just want them to know that I nothing will ever hurt them. I used to love lying on the floor with Bugsy he was a real cuddle bun, and sroking him. His teeth would go and he would drift off to sleep awwwww. I don't care if people think I am nuts!!!!!

People are work think im crazy... but they are also really nice about it to, and save me tubes and things for then.

my best friend at uni doesnt really like bunnies and thinks i am crazy for having 4

my mam also thinks im a bit cuckoo... maybe it is because its all i talk about :oops:

but i say 'am i bovverred?'

Can only endorse all that's been said. I was late coming to bunny world, but I have more than made up for lost time:D . I can't imagine life without them now. i just love their company and all they bring to my world!:D

aaaaah yay it's not just me. i can't stop talking about them, im sure people get bored with it but i don't care - they mean so much to me and I think that anything that is important to you you just seem to talk about a lot.

I LOVE MY BUNNIES. THEY ROCK!!!

Hardly anyone, where I live, gets it. Only cats & dogs are considered pets here and it annoys me to no end. Even "pet hospitals," when I phone, admit they only deal w/ cats & dogs.

I love my bun to no end, as others have said, she's my baby. I've heard lots of ppl saying rabbits are boring/don't get a pet that lives in a cage, and it's ridiculous. Bunnies are anything but boring, and too often, here, ppl put the bunnies in a cage and simply feed them, no interaction, so what do they expect as far as interaction goes? There's lots to say about my baby; I couldn't love her more if she were human :)

yeah people often talk about the crazy rabbit lady meaning me people don't understand why i would rather buy stuff for my buns than go out and get drunk with my friends and i just tell them honestly that drink is over rated butmy buns are worth every penny i have and more

yeah people often talk about the crazy rabbit lady meaning me people don't understand why i would rather buy stuff for my buns than go out and get drunk with my friends and i just tell them honestly that drink is over rated butmy buns are worth every penny i have and more

I agree! I'd much rather spend my money on my bunnies, they're my babies. My children have paws!:D It shocks me how many people think bunnies "like/want" to live in a tiny box of a hutch and never come out. :shock: And they think I'm weird for letting my bunnies run round the flat free and use a nice litter tray...:roll:

I agree! I'd much rather spend my money on my bunnies, they're my babies. My children have paws!:D It shocks me how many people think bunnies "like/want" to live in a tiny box of a hutch and never come out. :shock: And they think I'm weird for letting my bunnies run round the flat free and use a nice litter tray...:roll:

people are always amazed that mine are litter trained: "Can you DO that with rabbits?!" ... no, no you can't. that's why i said it :shock:

dont get me wrong. i like my booze but my bunnies come first. i'm happy with a glas of wine at home rather than spending loads on drink i don't really like in a noisy crowded bar, leaving the bunnies at home lol

Absolutely is the answer. :lol:

After years of doteing on my rabbits and trying to explain to people what I love about them I found an RWA hopper group full of like-minded people - it certainly helps, not only swapping good advice and tips but sharing funny stories of our rabbits etc that other people would just not get. :?

Before then people thought I was just young and silly. :? Well now am old (27 haha) and don't give two rabbit poos what people think. In fact I encourage it and like it that its " my thing." haha.

I've spent £280 on a shed for my giants. I spend £200 on vaccinations a year. I'm on first name terms with my vet.

Also....

After years of wanting one I got myself a tattoo. Deciding what of was not hard hehe. I actually found it on the pack of a box of Supreme Science Recovery !!!! :lol:

tattoo.jpg

Then I went one step further and bunnifed my new car because it didn't feel like mine hehe. I got some funny looks when I asked the garage for " a rabbits bum " on the back of my car haha!!!

rabsticker1.jpg

rabsticker2.jpg

So yea I'd say people think I'm bonkers but its worth it to make people laugh!!! :p

Last edited:
Well actually BEFORE I got any animals, a small boy told me his mum thought I was wierd (kids - bless em! :lol: ) - I think I've gone off the scale now :D

Oh yes.....I can SOOOOOO relate to the things that have been said here! That is why I use the forum name that I do! People get SO tired of hearing me rave on and on about my beloved buns.....but I just love them SO much!!!!! I have real children too......AND grandchildren......and people tend to find it barmy that a 47 year old woman is obsessed with bunnies!:roll: I don't care, though. I DO have SO many people say these same things to me....'BORING pet'.....'JUST a rabbit'....'Why bother'.....but as has been said here, the majority of people who say these things think a rabbit should just be bunged into a small hutch and thrown some food once a day.....so it's no WONDER they aren't very 'people friendly'!:evil: My bunnies LOVE to race around the house like loonies, chase people, jump over the furniture......and yes.....lay in bed with me and watch telly!!!!!

I just ADORE them!!!!!:love: :love: :love:

My Precious Timmy.....In His Favourite place!!!!!

ATimmybed4.jpg

ATimmybed.jpg

Back