• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping with eyes open?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Probably a very stupid question but do buns do this?
Audrey spends a remarkable amount of time just lying around but she usually has her eyes open. Perhaps she's just resting? :?

Gaius does this loads, It's usually when he is sleepy, but when he knows that I'm around... but sometimes he does it even if I'm not around and I spot him out the window - scares the life out of me!!! :shock:

Probably a very stupid question but do buns do this?
Audrey spends a remarkable amount of time just lying around but she usually has her eyes open. Perhaps she's just resting? :?

They do indeed sleep with their eyes open :) Their brain goes into sleep mode but with their eyes open Bun's brain can be responsive to visual stimuli and react to it. As Buns are longsighted its very useful in the wild as they can clock a predator that is some way off and make a dash for safety.

Janex :)

charlie does this - i can never tell whether he's asleep or just lying out and i make him jump sometimes if I come too close and he wakes up!

bless them, a very clever trick little wabbits!

My two girlie rescue buns did this the first week - it really worried me at first!! Darcy never does it - he closes his eyes and flops over doing the sleep-paw movement and his little whiskers moving. So cute!! Both girls are closing their eyes to sleep more and more now - apart from sometimes during hte day. The tale tale is that they don't blink and they do that "dream-whisker and head movement" so you can tell. Its like a spaced-out eye look and once awake its like "what you doing there? where's my food??":lol:

Oscar used to do this alot, his ears would be flat back on his head, and he would rock backwards and forwards in and out of sleep, it was hilarious. I can usually tell when they are asleep as their little noses stop twitching...

Oscar used to do this alot, his ears would be flat back on his head, and he would rock backwards and forwards in and out of sleep, it was hilarious. I can usually tell when they are asleep as their little noses stop twitching...

Mimi does that, too! The rocking is adorable!! She falls asleep like that a lot.

Oh, and good call about their noses not twitching ;) Hadn't thought of that!

I've just been to shut Benny up in his hutch and he looked wide awake, only didn't move till I shouted in his ear and waved a chunk of brocolli at him :lol: Fat lot of use that would be if I was a cat :roll:

Back