• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding in Progress (pigs)

elve

Banned
Wot me - bond rabbits? :shock: Well I might try a pig or 2 but that's all - I claim my title of 'bonding coward' proudly :p

So I was thinking - it's killing me cleaning 15 guinea pig cages/hutches and all the rabbits, but I can't afford new cages or neutering for boy pigs that might not work out anyway :rolleyes:

But then I thought :shock: Milo is on his own in a 2x4 cage - why not put him in a smaller one, and bond the only 2 girls I haven't tried together (I gave up when they all seemed intent on killing each other :rolleyes: )

Tara was split from her aggressive mum last year, poor girly :( Although shy, she's an absolute poppet with the funniest face on account of her white 'crown' - And then there's Lulu, who's been alone since I split her from Abbie - why not try them together as Lulu is very timid like Tara?....

They have been in the run since yesterday morning - so far so good although Tara twitters with annoyance non-stop - I had to put 2 seperate beds in for them yesterday afternoon as they were clearly exhausted but too 'on guard' to sleep - poor lassies! Bonding is stressful :shock: No biting or lunging though...yet

smallbonding.jpg

And it's thirsty work too - I reckon they hadn't had a drink since yesterday morning :?

smalldrinking.jpg

Fingers are now crossed they don't object to sharing a 4x2 cage tonight :shock:

Meanwhile the bonded group of 3 girls have been fighting since yesterday afternoon as Imogen appears to be 'on heat' You can't win :rolleyes:

The best advice I can offer (owning 11 pigs myself) is try anything! Seriously, I have found there is no rule with guinea pigs, basically some get on some don't. I have owned guinea pigs for about ten years now and bonded all kinds: I've had old boys who excepted a baby one after another, then brothers who faught until they had to live singly. Currently I have:

Bazil (old man) housed with Rufus. Both have lived with other pigs happily.

Elvis and Sunny singly - faught like rotweilers and will no longer except other pigs.

Then I had Toupee (another old guy) who had babies with Twiglet who apprently changed sex over night un beknown to the pet store!? HE produced 4 babies - first litter!!! All boys - Chilli, Monty2, Haggis and Mocha - They lived with their dad for a while until I found 5 boys was just too much testosterone once they had come of age - Now

Mocha and Chilli live together...

And Haggis and Monty live with their dad.

That meant I had Twiggy on her own:( I'll only house a single pig if no combination works so I went and got Pringle and had no problems introducing them :D

So due to a pet store mix-up I ended up with five more guinea pigs than I originally had! :shock:

I don't think it helps to be honest when you have both sexes - I've found mine have a lot more friction now I have the 2 sows!!! I've always owned just boys for this reason.

The best advice I can offer is :mask scents using "vic" on their noses or rub each others bedding on them, have two of everything in the cage to begin with to reduce the risk of fighting or bullying, lots of space is a must (4ft by 2ft is plenty big enough) and try to destract them with lots of nice things to eat!!! As you'll know what pigs do best 'eh? ;) I bet you never have to cut your grass!!!! :lol:

Aww - what lovely pigs on your sig Lea-Anne :D

Well the girls had their houses removed after a good night's sleep, so they couldn't avoid each other, and they've been lying down at opposite ends of the run today! Big improvement on yesterday when they were too stressed to lie down all day (no wonder they were getting cross as they usually sleep for hours!)

:D Aww bless! Day 3 in the run together and they've forgotten they were ever alone! Tara was so relaxed this morning she fell asleep while I was standing next to the run!
Yaaaay! - may they enjoy many happy years together :D

smallfriends.jpg

Back