• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch waste

Maizy

Mama Doe
Hi,

Can I just ask what everyone does with their hutch waste? I have about 9 bags a week. The council will not take it as compostables, I have 2 compost bins, but it doesn't compost as quickly as the waste is generated and the only other place we can put it is in the household wheelie bin double bagged, but this virtually fills the bin and it's only collected every fortnight.:roll: I do take some to the local council site, but the queues are sooooooo long getting in it's a real faff. Any suggestions please?

I'm lucky that my nan is happy to take me down the local dump to get rid of all my animal rubbish, there's just too much to use the normal bin (and we don't get the other bins here :? )
Don't know of any alternatives other than burning it, which obviously isn't good for the environment :?

Freecycle it so other people can compost it - you'd be surprised how many people want it!

Thats a fantastic idea!

Also just a question, when you compost it maisie what doe you do?
If there is a fair amount of straw and hay you need to soak it for a few hours(preferably overnight) as it speeds up breakdown of the fibres and you need to layer your waste, one layer no more than a couple of inches of animal waste, next layer kitchen waste, next layer garden waste and so on. And add worms! Hope that helps if you don't already know that!

The council take mine in the compost green bin, but the rest has to go up the dump. I asked the council if I could have a second green bin and was told NO !! When asked what I should do with the rest, was told to black bin it and take it up the dump !! Thats recycling for you !! I compost as much as I can.

We don't get compost bins here, we used to compost it, but the bins got full super quick. My dad takes some to his friend's allotment, but the rest goes to the tip as there's nothing else we can do with it.

I put mine in the green garden recycling bin, as long as there is no newspaper / sawdust in it they will take it away. We have a number of foster homes who have 2 bins and they are taken away without a problem.

This service costs us £30 a year for each bin.

Thats a fantastic idea!

Also just a question, when you compost it maisie what doe you do?
If there is a fair amount of straw and hay you need to soak it for a few hours(preferably overnight) as it speeds up breakdown of the fibres and you need to layer your waste, one layer no more than a couple of inches of animal waste, next layer kitchen waste, next layer garden waste and so on. And add worms! Hope that helps if you don't already know that!

The bins are on the allotment ( can't fit them in the garden with the hutches, waterbuts and plants)! :D We do layer it between other green waste and paper and the summer is better as it does break down a bit quicker, but 9 roos keep me on my toes!

The council take mine in the compost green bin, but the rest has to go up the dump. I asked the council if I could have a second green bin and was told NO !! When asked what I should do with the rest, was told to black bin it and take it up the dump !! Thats recycling for you !! I compost as much as I can.

Don't get me started on the old recycling thing, had a similar convo with the council when they winghed about a heavy bin one week:censored: . Explained that maybe the range of re-cycling should be increased and the waste taken. Apparently the reason the re-cycling is limited is because they can't process the waste properly. It's why they won't take shredded paper either ( jams the lorry parts)!!! It has to be whole or in big pieces. So all of you who are being security conscious, shredding paper to keep the banks happy about identity fraud, you may be upsetting your council with the bits!:shock: As for the hutch waste it causes a nitrogen spike which is very short lived, but some don't like to use it because of it. Never had any probs myself on the allotment, so i will offer it out and hope I get some takers.

Sounds like I'm really lucky here with our waste collectors. I have two green bins that fill up in no time, our collection is fortnightly too, so I just buy the compostable refuse sacks from the supermarket and fill those, I leave it all out all the bags (and there's normally about 6 or 8 :oops: ) along with the two green wheelie bins and our guys take the lot! I must admit I feel bad about though and cringe when they arrive - they must curse me!
I must get round to leaving a thank you note and some beers for them!

I have the same problem as council won't take it in the green bin and black bin's only emptied fortnightly - 6 bunnies and 20 guinea pigs are a nightmare for rubbish! I used to hire a skip but I can't afford that any more, so my old neighbour kindly takes 3 bags, my ex takes 3, I tip the rabbit's mess up the garden on the world's biggest compost heap and just admire the black bags decorating the patio permanently :roll:

I dread the day they start charging for waste collection - apart from the hay on top, it's too wet to burn but I might start burning my household rubbish so I can fit more in my black bin.

Freecycle's a good idea - in fact I should advertise at the local post office as there are loads of keen gardeners round here. :D

I have been putting mine (the rabbits waste) in the green bin for three years and then last collection they left the bin full with a note saying they can't take it because it has animal bedding in it! :roll: :roll: The bin has a list of things you can compost on top of the lid and animal bedding is listed but looks like they changed there minds with no warning!
The note said to remove the waste but how do you empty a bin full of poo? I put grass cuttings on the top and put it out again this week and they emptied it. Good job as after a month it was covered in maggots! :shock:
I'm now putting it in black bin liners and putting it in the black bin, what a waste!

I fill up my green bin from the council within about 4 days of it being emptied, but they won't give me another bin. Then the rest has to go to the tip. It's a pain, but can't see any other alternatives at the moment, as I've got a tiny garden, and don't want a composter.

Ours goes into the green composting bin, it says you can put animal waste in it... so I do! It fills up in the fortnight, and although our food waste goes in it, we have no room for garden cuttings etc!

All councils are different thought - the one green bin I had in Northampton said that you couldn't put food waste in. Being as I lived in a small estate where most people didn't have a large garden, on "green bin week" not many people put them out!

H

We're on a new trial. We have a green bin for general waste, and a blue bin for recycling cardboard and cans and stuff.

Let's say, week 1 the green bin is emptied. The new scheme says that when your bin is emptied you can then fill it with glass, and that will be emptied the next day. Then you can put your general waste in the green bin for the next fortnight. We've been given a box to store glass in for the meantime.

Week 2 is the same as week one, but with recycled rubbish and compost stuff respectively. Only thing is, we have to make sure our blue bin is clean for when the recycled rubbish goes in for the next fortnight. We got a bag for storing garden waste.

Well, you should've seen the response in the local paper! It was mainly from old people stating they were unable to clean their blue bin out, but some people also suggested why doesn't the glass go in the blue bin, and the compost in the green? The council wrote back and said some excuse.

If I have any garden waste I just take it to the tip anyway.

I have been putting mine (the rabbits waste) in the green bin for three years and then last collection they left the bin full with a note saying they can't take it because it has animal bedding in it! :roll: :roll: The bin has a list of things you can compost on top of the lid and animal bedding is listed but looks like they changed there minds with no warning!
The note said to remove the waste but how do you empty a bin full of poo? I put grass cuttings on the top and put it out again this week and they emptied it. Good job as after a month it was covered in maggots! :shock:
I'm now putting it in black bin liners and putting it in the black bin, what a waste!

Ooh well done you. I love stealth tactics:lol: I have spotted some of the bin men sifting through the rubbish before now. Guess people are getting sneaky!:D

Ooh well done you. I love stealth tactics:lol: I have spotted some of the bin men sifting through the rubbish before now. Guess people are getting sneaky!:D

My bin men usually take mine but if one of the bags is too heavy they rip it open and then leave it on the side of the road :evil: I rang and complained and he said they wouldn't take the waste and I told him that wasn't the point and his men had left it all over the side walk :roll: They never collected it so I had to split it into seperate bags and put a couple of (bunny chewed) cornflake boxes on the top :oops: :rolleyes: to make it look authentic!!

Back