• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those Experienced With Kits

I'm so sorry, Jane. I hope the poorly Boblet gets better soon. I've no experience with this but just wanted to send healing bunny vibes.:(

:( Aww - poor baby - I've just caught up with their story thanks to broadband - what an escape from hell they've had :shock:

Hopefully he/she doesn't have something contagious - it might just be developmental or genetic? Best of luck with them.

I would've thought if it was something contagious the other buns would have been exposed already (as he/she must've caught it somewhere and often things are contagious before symptoms show)
I'm pretty sure they can be weaned at 4 weeks (though not sure I'd recommend it!) so fingers crossed its age will be of some help to its recovery. Fingers crossed here anyway :)

Don't seperate him, as someones said if its contagious the others will have it already, and it will just cause him more stress.

Just put plenty of hay and a bowl of water - there's not much more you can do in all honesty. Baby rabbits are so fragile, he may right himself in a couple of hours or he might not. Can't think of what else to suggest really, personaly I'm not one for dosing them with all manner of potions, prefer to give them the opportunity to sort themselves out.

Good luck

Why am I thinking Coccidiosis :?

Sounds far to similar to what Blackie was like before we lost her :(

If it is, it's treatable as long as caught early, we saved Magic, Bandit and Peaches although it left Peaches with a weak heart and the Anesthetic for his neuter got him, Magic and Bandit were seriously ill, to the point where we had to keep poking Bandit to keep her alert on the way to the vets :(

I would leave them together save stressing any of them out further. If this is something that is potentially contageous then they will already have been exposed to it. You need strict hand washing to reduce the chance of exposing the others to this.

I would leave them together save stressing any of them out further. If this is something that is potentially contageous then they will already have been exposed to it. You need strict hand washing to reduce the chance of exposing the others to this.

Thanks Janice. I am going to contact Intervet tomorrow to see if they can give advice re the earliest a kit can be Panacured. Christobel thought 2 weeks, but wants me to check with manufacturers. Poorly Boblet's 'symptoms' seem vague and if anything more neurological than gastric :? He just appears not to be 'the full shilling'. Maybe he is brain damaged :? If so he will be staying here.

Janex

Thanks Janice. I am going to contact Intervet tomorrow to see if they can give advice re the earliest a kit can be Panacured. Christobel thought 2 weeks, but wants me to check with manufacturers. Poorly Boblet's 'symptoms' seem vague and if anything more neurological than gastric :? He just appears not to be 'the full shilling'. Maybe he is brain damaged :? If so he will be staying here.

Janex

Ages ago I had a piggie come in, one of a group of 97 found in a shed. This poor little girl even as a 4 week'ish old baby would only walk in circles, she went to a lovely home to a couple of teenage girls who spoilt this little one rotten. She lived to about 2 years old but never walked in a straight line. We think she was hypoxic at birth.

Poor little thing, is that 4 little babies looking for a home :?

Ages ago I had a piggie come in, one of a group of 97 found in a shed. This poor little girl even as a 4 week'ish old baby would only walk in circles, she went to a lovely home to a couple of teenage girls who spoilt this little one rotten. She lived to about 2 years old but never walked in a straight line. We think she was hypoxic at birth.

Poor little thing, is that 4 little babies looking for a home :?

Yes, I had intended to keep one Boblet but a Doe. Michael needs a friend you see. But if 'Dippy' Boblet is a Buck then he'll still stay.
I dont think Donna will be holding her breath on me letting ANY Boblets go :lol:
But if the right home comes along then I will try to be brave.....:?

Janex

Is little Boblet not eating out of choice or is he the runt of the litter? I had a baby that wasn't eating and I used to hold Mum up against my chest and let the baby bun suckle from her seperately - just a thought.

Back