• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

in labour?

kimd6200

Banned
hi all,missy my 2yr ol cross breed got in with obi a few weeks back by mistake and i think shes in labour!shes always been fat so couldnt tell if she was pregnant or not.nyway,since this morning she has been pacing up and down her hutch n keeps going in the bed part.put her some fresh hay n veg n she doesnt seem to bothered.could this be the signs of labour starting?she hasnt built a nest yet but its her 1st litter.i didnt intend on breeding her but accidents happen.
thanks

How many weeks ago was the 'accidental' mating?
The gestation period for Rabbits is approximately 32 days. They normally build a nest a few days before giving birth, although young/inexperienced Does may not. Birthing usually takes place at night.

Is your Doe eating at all? Has she passed the normal amount of poo over the last 12 hours.

MOST IMPORTANT IS THE BUCK WELL AWAY FROM HER. A Doe can become pregnant again IMMEDIATELY after giving birth.

To avoid future accidents why not get you Buns Neutered. The Doe will be protected from Uterine infections and cancer and the Buck wont be frustrated by his desire to mate. You could even bond them, two loved up Bunnies and NO Babies :D

I would keep a very close eye on your Doe and if she continues to behave in a distressed manner I'd contact your Vet for advice

Janex

you could have taken her to the vets after the accident for an emergency spay. She probably is pregnant now. Hope there aren't too many babies! :?

I would definately get the boy bun neutered a.s.a.p to stop it happening again. You will need to remove the babies at 8 weeks and separate them into male and females or they could start breeding too. Its very easy for it to get out of hand.

Good luck with the babies. There are plenty of people here who have had experience with baby rabbits to give you more advice if needed :D

she isnt with the buck because he ran off.shes eating and pooin ok.seems abit better now.it was 4wks ago she got with the buck.havent had them spayed because i cannot afford.using money from selling tesses babies to get them all done.

Have you thought this through properly Kim? How much do you think you'll get for the babies(if you managed to find buyers for them all). I shouldn't think it will cover the cost of the neutering /spaying of all the rabits

I'm a bit confused :? If Missy "got in" with Obi how did he "run off"? :? You'll have to keep a close eye on them because even if you do get the money to neuter them from selling Tesses babies the bucks can stay fertile for up to 6weeks and you wont be able to spay Missy until her babies are weaned. Fingers crossed she's not pregnant as it sounds like it's the last thing you need.

she got into his enclosure before he ran off.theres a section about it in rabbit chat.ive got home for all the babies at £20 each and theres 7 of them.how many neuterings could i get done for that?dont know how much it cost.

Prices vary, so you'd be better checking with the vet that did their vaccinations. Generally speaking spays can cost between £60 - £90 and neuters anything between £50 -£70

I was charged £55 for a basic spay on Friday. But... the total came in at £93 as she had to have a pre GA health check £18.50 and then she was given pain relief jab and came home with Zantac and Baytril. So I'd have in your mind a mid £70's fig as a ball park starting point.

I paid £130 for Buu's spay and £170 for Scarlett's so you might want to have a word with your vet about the cost as it varies between vet surgeries. Plus its important to make sure you are using a bunny savvy vet :D I doubt you will make enough money from selling the babies to spay and neuter them all though :?

I am truley gobsmacked that you are "selling" these poor babies to make money! huh you'll be lucky mate!.you should be looking for caring homes who may help you out by homing one.:censored: :censored:

I am now very confused? have you got 7 babies or not?? you said you thought she was pregnant and then she has 7 babies nearly ready for selling??

brick wall ......

Agreed :roll: You put Tess in the rehoming section as a vicious bunny, and all she needs is speying............Where did she actually come from? and are you just passing her on 'cos you cant afford to spey her? Youngbunny, the babies from this litter (if bun is pregnent) are seperate to another litter 'kim davies' has :roll: I think perhaps find all the babies loving homes, and lay off 'rescuing' for a bit, you'll soon have the money to spey and neuter the buns, and make their living areas more secure, after Obi escaping Xx

listen i only come on this site for advice got to be given grief.i was given tesse who was already pregnant,missy got in with obi before he escaped and yes i am selling the babies.and ive got homes for all of missys babies aswell.theres no crime in it is there?all my rabbits are cared for properly.tesse is for rehoming and i dont think spaying her will make any difference.if everyone is just going gang up thenn ill leave and do things my own way.at least ive asked for advice.:censored:

If you've managed to find good homes for all seven you've done very well. It is a problem when people land unwanted buns on you..I know I'd find it hard to want to help out, but sadly we can't help every needy bun. Hopefully Missy isn't pregnant and you'll be able have all those that need neutered/spayed fairly quickly.

listen i only come on this site for advice got to be given grief.i was given tesse who was already pregnant,missy got in with obi before he escaped and yes i am selling the babies.and ive got homes for all of missys babies aswell.theres no crime in it is there?all my rabbits are cared for properly.tesse is for rehoming and i dont think spaying her will make any difference.if everyone is just going gang up thenn ill leave and do things my own way.at least ive asked for advice.:censored:

What makes you say that spaying Tesse wont do any good :?
She may never be a cuddly bunny but I suspect she will calm down a little without the dreaded hormones. Also, by spaying her you will protect her from nasty womb infections and cancer. Its your decision of course, but I am sure you want to do the best for her.

If you got Obi neutered first of all that would take away the risk of more 'accidents'. I dont know how old you are or if you are in work. But some people are eligible for vouchers from the RSPCA that go towards the cost of neutering. You could contact your nearest RSPCA Centre and ask them if you qualify.

I hope all the babies settle well in their new homes. You can download some Rabbit Care info' from the RWA website which you could give to the babies new owners. Here is the site

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/information.htm

Janex

Back