• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mission accomplished-Bagel and Nugget

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
:wave: Well I finally collected the 2 remaining buns from the place that my old mrs Molly came from. Bagel is a dwarf lop and Nugget a mini lop. They are both entire males and i its quite sad to see Bagel pacing and wanting to hump my arm.
The thing is having thought they were about 5, we now really don't know how old they are and they could be older than that.
Will my vet be able to tell?!? I feel he underestimated my other foster George to be approx 2-3 yrs when in fact we think he was more like 5 or 6 and didn't come round too well from his neuter. I know others on here have neutered older buns but what if they were much older and no one knew, I woud hate to finish them off.
Will post pics of them later they are both lovely (although have overgrown curly nails which I a just off to trim now.)

Thanks,

Lucy

To be honest I don't think your vet will be able to tell how old they are - rabbits don't really have specific aging signs - they have things that can give an indication like their teeth but some buns come from dreadful conditions and their teeth portray them to be far older than they actually are :?

For an older bun you can have a blood test done first. Old age means more chance of liver etc. problems which is what causes a problem with aneasthetic no the actual number of years. If everything comes back healthy that neutering a 5/6 year old shouldn't be a problem.

Tam

Many Thanks,

I am thinking Nugget is older from the way he acts and looks (will try to put pics up soon)
My vet is coming later this week so will ask about blood tests etc.

It also appears Nugget has mites, I have kept him isolated and washed clothing and myself etc. I have some cheap stuff but not really expecting this to work. What should I be asking my vet for for this?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!:D

Back