• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are rabbits inferior to cats and dogs! ((beware! rant))

jessicarose

Young Bun
Having had all three I find rabbits much more entertaining! When Lilly binkys it's the funniest thing in the world.

People find it odd that I'm going to spend 120$ to get her spayed. Their comments "why would you pay that much money for a rabbit that cost like 10$"

Ha, shows what they know, not only will she likely die a painful death if I don't spay her (cancer), but I've already spent well over 120$ in less then 2 weeks on just her supplies/toys/home/etc... and I find it well worth it.

People around here must think that rabbits are like... gold fish. No, I can't leaver her in her cage all day to sit there. She needs exercise (HAVEN'T YOU EVER SEEN A WILD RABBIT?!?!) :evil:

ALSO! Rabbits are not dirty, the humans that take care of them are dirty! Yes if you leave her poo in there for weeks it will stink, if you let her pee on the carpet that will also stink. Lilly's cage does not stink as it gets cleaned every day.

Sigh:roll:

I agree, everyone in my village thinks I'm mad. Someone popped in last night and asked if my hutches were on top of each other, so I showed her round the garden where she was confronted with my two monster hutch/runs - think she was speechless!!!

Another lady has a dutch rabbit who freeranges in her yard, he's lovely and friendly and even she asked me how I can love my rabbits. She loves her cat but not her rabbit :?

I'm glad you're enjoying your gorgeous bunny :)

I agree, everyone in my village thinks I'm mad. Someone popped in last night and asked if my hutches were on top of each other, so I showed her round the garden where she was confronted with my two monster hutch/runs - think she was speechless!!!

Another lady has a dutch rabbit who freeranges in her yard, he's lovely and friendly and even she asked me how I can love my rabbits. She loves her cat but not her rabbit :?

I'm glad you're enjoying your gorgeous bunny :)

Thankyou. She has pretty much taken over my room. My boyfriend is jealous, he thinks I spend more time with her... well I tell ya, she's cuter then him :lol:

it annoyts me how people make jokes abou stewing rabbits etc. yes very funny, we have pets that you can eat but the best (and only) comeback I have managed to come up with is "I don't knwo about you but in my family we don't EAT our pets" followed by a very sarcastic look.

i mean, noone would say that about a dog or a cat or even a pet CHICKEN! it's not even funny.

people are idiots, I admit when i was a kid i thought rabbits were boring as the only one i had met was stuffed in a tiny hutch (it must have been about 24" long for a dutch sized bunny) and sat there all day, probably going slowly mad. but MY perceptions have changed. even our MICE had a decent sized cage and were cleaned out as often as possible!!! If you leave an animal in its own mess, it will smell. fact.

bunnies are gorgeous creatures with such amazing characters. my two make me giggle on a daily basis and are going to LOVE their new home...Chateau Lapin, here we come!

I thought house rabbits were really popular over in the US. Does it depend on the area?

I hate it when people joke abot them too. Infact I was in a long car journey with my boyfriend, his sister and her husband and they kept making jokes so I just started "joking" about eating their cats! Funnily enough the conversation ended quite quickly :D

I thought house rabbits were really popular over in the US. Does it depend on the area?

I hate it when people joke abot them too. Infact I was in a long car journey with my boyfriend, his sister and her husband and they kept making jokes so I just started "joking" about eating their cats! Funnily enough the conversation ended quite quickly :D

hahahaha that's a good one. the thing is, noone would ever do that out of the blue.

"we got a new puppy"
"puppy? oooh lovely with some taters and gravy!"

doesn't make sense! Yet swap "puppy" for "bunny" and you've got a typical interaction with an ignorant fool!

hahahaha that's a good one. the thing is, noone would ever do that out of the blue.

"we got a new puppy"
"puppy? oooh lovely with some taters and gravy!"

doesn't make sense! Yet swap "puppy" for "bunny" and you've got a typical interaction with an ignorant fool!

I suppose its because you can buy rabbit in a butchers shop but not dog or cat! Doesn't help that cat and dog food has rabbit in it either. I buy my cat fish flavour food, it would seem a bit strange to buy her rabbit flavour food and rabbit pellets at the same time :?

It's pretty bad in the over here in my area in the US too.
If I go to petsmart, they have like...10 isles full of dog and cat things.
They don't even have a half isle full of rabbit things. :roll:
I hear all the time that my parents seen a little kid holding a baby rabbit around the park when they go. Makes me wonder if she even knows rabbits don't like to be held or how long it will take for her to get bored with it, or even if she knows anything about rabbits at all.
And I even read in the newspaper under rabbits for sale, they have rabbits listed for pets and some listed as meat. :?
There isn't even a rabbit shelter close to me either. >:0
What do they do, just release them in the wild?
But there is tons of dog and cat shelters.
Same with vets.
Not one close to me, but tons for dogs and cats.
I even called down there once and asked if they did rabbit spaying, and they said it would kill them if they did. :roll:

Last edited:
I engaged in pleasant chit-chat with someone outside school (waiting to collect sprogs)... topic moved on to bunnies (as it invariably does these days :oops: ). I asked if he had rabbits, he replied: "we had one, but it escaped. then we got another one and that one escaped too, so we bought 2 together and they escaped..." :shock: I bit my tongue.... then further - "I don't really like rabbits, they just sit there and don't do anything... and they smell" :?
I gave him a mini lecture, and am just glad that he isn't going to get any more. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing, this was an otherwise nice, educated bloke whose wife is a vicar... for god's sake! :evil:

i remember when i bought my first rabbit Crystal 2 years ago from a garden centre and the man who was serving me kept making little comments like 'its a shame they dont add how to cook your rabbit in these leaflets' :shock: and it carried on like that he obviously thought he was being funny but he was the only one who was laughing :shock: if someone said that now though id probably smack them across the face :shock:

my neighbours always complaining as well she says my rabbits stink :shock: even though i clean them out everyday :shock: last year she was even accusing me of not feeding my rabbits :shock: :cry: which led to a big argument between her and my mum because i ended up crying about it :cry: my nieghbours not really an animal person she had a cat about 10 years ago and it lived in her shed :shock:

There might be areas where rabbit as popular, but as far as being in Iowa goes people considers rabbit a farm animal pretty much. So since I don't live on a farm I'm odd.

I can't imagine eating a rabbit. Not only because I consider it a pet, but because it doesn't sound very tasty.

Around here we actually make jokes about eating cats and dogs. Someone a while back (not sure where) but in the U.S got caught making chinese food out of cat. And our neighbor behind us kept getting dogs and then you wouldn't see them again. We seriously wondered if they were eating them...they had a smoke house and stuff in their yard. We wouldnt' accept any meat they tried to give us.

My mom told me a story about how when she was younger my grandpa went hunting and caught some rabbits. They were all sitting around the table when my uncle said to my grandma "mom, what color was this rabbit?" Needless to say, my grandma wouldn't let them eat rabbit anymore.

Back