• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

no metacam as she had rimadryl..wot??

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
willow ahs finally returnde home.sadly petra doesnt do fridays there so becky was the one who released her to me.

her care advice etc was pretty sketchy and i said hold on i need to know...

1) is she eating or drinking by herself?
2) has she peed and pooed?
3) what if she chews her stitches what do i do?
4) what about some metacam to go home with..?

answers..
1) nurse aid attempted syringe feeding but tried feeding greens instead..ie little madam!!
2) shes pooed a little and has had metaclop so should be ok as shes ate alittle hay and a danlelion green.
3) ring the hospital
4) NO METACAM!!
iw as furious and began spouting about she needs it etc..
then she said its because shes had rimadryl...and it would be like mixing aspiring and ibuprofen together

no metacam for 3 to 4 days she said!!
How long does the rimadryl last then i asked..oh about 24hrs..

i was so ****** by then..i wanted petra there to guide me through it..its been along time having a doe sspayed.

i am sure she should have given her some metacam..

im meant to book an appointment for a check up in 3-5days time..im gonna make sure is see petra..beckys nice enough but i am worried now about the pain relief.

please please help..is it true..you have to wait 3 or 4 days afyer rimadryl left the body to have metacam??

though i knew but i dont..jane.? Jill?..all you long term bunny rescuers owners..i need advice!!

if she should have given her metacam i cant do anything about it till monday at the earliest..the stuff i have i think is out of date just..
HELP!

Hi I've not had much experience with post-op bunnies, but when Furby was done in January she was given a long-lasting pain killer as well , but nothing else. The vet nurse said that it should be enough but if I thought she was showing signs of pain then I should take her back so the vet could check out to be sure that it was post-op discomfort and nothing more serious building up.

I posted on your other thread that if Rimadyl is given immediately post op' it is inadvisable to give Metacam for at least 48 hours.
My Vet always gives Metacam immediately post op' so the dose can be repeated after 24 hours if needed

Janex :)

:wave: yes the long acting one must be the rimadryl one..i thought she was kidding!!

Thank you jne ive replied on other post too.

i wish theyd given her metacam instead..i hate to think about her ebing in pain..shes hardly eaten any pelleets but shes been eating hay and the spring greens i gave her yesterday and today...
shes bright well was at about 4.30am..even standing onhind legs to ask for nose rub and even tried to venture out of the crate!!
But this morning shes feeling very low i think..the heats got to her..shes obviously a in soem sort of pain but i feel so bad cos i cant give ehr anything..shes stretched out..not typical bunny pain stance but i know shes feeling umcomfortable to saythe elast.
like you say jane..would ahuman have a hysterectomy wihtout painkillers after? i am so sorry willow..
if shes going downhill i will ring the hopsital and ring the naimal ambualnce service as the hospital is along way away from me and i dont drive being unconrolled epileptic..
typical i find a surgery thats great and the evts s helpful and the bunnyvet is brill..the prices are also cheaper than my old vets..but all tretents have to be shipped off to the hospital..the evts take them off in their cars in wire cages.

But its worth it to know buns are in an exclusive small animal ward with nurses who know what to do..not oh i only do dogs!!

i hopeits just th eheat today..she doesnt like water botles frozen shes no idea what t do withthem! but shes pulled all the sheeting back at one side and is laying on the cold metal base..it must be soothing i guess. th evt fleece was too hot.but she did make good use of it yesterday..she never sleeps ont he thing but she did last night with her toy bunny.
thankyou both for the feedback.

Back