• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dealing with wounds? Bailey got hurt tonight!

mabster

Young Bun
Well Oakley and Bailey had their first fight and Bailey's come out a little worse for ware.
She has a wound near her rear which is around 1.5-2cm in diameter and has removed the first layer of skin. There is no fluff there and the surrounding area is peeling a bit. I know it's late but I'm hoping someones is around..

Bailey is a fluffy lionhead. Around 9 weeks old, mabey more.
What I am wondering is how do I treat this? I shall consult the vets asap in the morning.

So worried aboot my babies. They are now lying together.
They have been acting odd of late with Bailey humping Oakleys front and rear. Both are females and Oakley is around 11 weeks old.
Love em to bits

As ever your advice is greatly appreciated.

Mabs

First are you CERTAIN they are both Does ?

It is best to flush any wounds with a weak saline solution. I would not put any antiseptic creams or powders on the wounds. A Vet check is a good idea to insure there are no puncture wounds which may mean abx are needed.

Janex

We are almost dead cert.
The breeder thinks she's a gal. Originaly she had the boys/gals mixed up but now knows how to spot em young.
The wound has dried up and is closing a bit. There is a bit of skin folded back that has dried but I think the surrounding areas have stuck down. Just worried about infection. I'll get some sterile water ready.

Cheers

Mabs

I would ask the vet to check the sex of them both to be really sure. You don't want to end up with 12 or so babies!
Now they are becoming hormonal they may not get on so well. Personally i'd separate them after this incident until they can be spayed and then try bonding them together. You could put them in cages next to each other so they can still see and smell each other but not actually hurt each other.

We have 2 Does who are now 13 weeks old. They had a fight at around 9 weeks when Holly our Blue & White came off the worse with a small wound, she was the runt of the litter but now a few weeks older she is the bigger of the two and has spent the last few nights humping Alfie, both head and back end! First thoughts - GAY rabbits but when we sat and thought about it we thought they are probably the equivelent of teenagers going through puberty so realised with all the hormones kicking in they are bound to be a bit confused.
We read on a website about spraying the offender with a water bottle, must admit it seemed a bit cruel but one spray on the nose later and all we have to do now is shake the bottle near them and they stop dead in their tracks. It works for now and gives us some peace of mind that they will not hurt each other. We have thought about having them spayed but will see how they go.

Good luck with yours.

Back