• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

water bottle or bowl?

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
what do your have mine are house buns and prefer a cowl to be honest once i attatched a bottle while mum was looking after them thought it'd be easier she took it off said they didnt have a clue what to do with it so gave them their bowl back:lol:

I have always thought that a bowl is a much more natural way of giving water. However, it does depend on set-up. Mine are not confined to a hutch so the bowl is in the run.

Cara

Mine used to only have a bottle, until the heatwave last summer when I decided to give them a bowl alongside their bottle. Since then they prefered to use a bowl, though I give them both. They often get bits in their water in the bowl, which is annoying. Their new habit is to put the treatball with some pellets still in, in the water bowl. Bits of hay and the odd poo find their way in too :roll:.

I'd use a bowl with housebuns but anybun with loose bedding/hay I use bottle with. They just fill up a bowl with bits otherwise :roll:

I changed over to bowls in January, and don't think I'll go back to bottles. I don't have a problem with debris getting in as the water bowl is kept downstairs in the run area, so out of reach of stray bedding etc.

Mine prefer to use a bowl, but I always put a bottle in their run just in case the bowl gets tipped over, which it rarely does. I don't put a bottle in the hutch, as I have not yet found one that does'nt drip.

Thats a good idea! Mine have got a normal sized bowl and they need it changing or filling up two or three times a day!

They were on a bottle but when Barney got ill he seemed to find a bowl easier and now they have both taken to drinking from a bowl. They both seem much happier with it and the sound of lappig is much nice than the sound of the mettle ball in the end of the bottle rattling around.

mine both started off with bowls but i found bottles much cleaner (i.e. no hay/poo gets in them!) and the adapted fine... clever little monkeys lol we should have a poll

Mine have both bowls and bottles.
Smokey and Fudge will occasionally drink from the bottle but prefer the bowl.
Angel has never drank from the bottle yet.

Mine have bowls although I do worry that with them being lionhead crosses that in winter they'll get cold wet fur around their faces. They were on bottles before I got them and spent the first couple of days paddling (one way of keeping your feet clean). I could never find a bottle that didn't drip, leaving a soggy patch in the hutch and I was always worried that all the water would leak out and they wouldn't have any. I also found when I had guinea pigs that they loved playing with the water bottles to watch the bubbles in them when water came out. Rabbits seem to get less poo in their bowls than guinea pigs do.
Back to the question (sorry for waffling on) the bunnies have a water bowl in their hutch and one in their attached run which are cleaned and refilled twice a day.

mine prefer their bowl but do have bottle on the second and third level of their cage for when they couldnt work out the down ramps so they didt get thirsty

My two have two bottles in the bunny palace, and when they are in the garden I have a bowl down, they will use both:)

Mimi had a bowl at first, then we switched to a bottle (which I prefer since it takes up much less space), and it looks like we're going back to a bowl today. The bottle's been leaking & harder to attach.

Back