• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

a short Poppy update at vets !

I have had to ring the vets today to find out how Poppy was / is and the scretery said that :

Poppy is fine. she has had a bandage put on around her middle and is wearing a collar round her head now .

which iam pleased :) they have at long last put a collar round her head to stop her geting at her wound.

but why did'ent they do this in the first place after her spay ?
shorly they should of realized that rabbits chew every thing they see fit to nibble at. :? :?

my Poppy has had 3 lots of stiching in 1 week all redone after her spay op.
with No sight of her wearing a collar to stop her. :? :?

when the secretery said she has a bandage round her middle I wondered if a 4th lot of stiching was under it or instead of stiching staples ?

I surpose i will find out what's under the bandage when I see the vets again it could be tomorrow Sat or on Monday next week poss.
and I will let you know again of what's under the bandage.

you know how I said yesterday that the Vetanary would ring me. well I had to. as they must of been too buisy to phone me. either that or could not be bothered to keep me informed of Poppy's progress.

as they did not ring me yesterday I was worried and upset a little. as I had no Idea if she was ok or not at the vets. as they did not inform me .
and I was also fustrated at them. for not bothing to keep me informed of Poppy. :evil:

what the sec told me above sounds true. as long as Poppy is able to Poo and wee like this still with no problems then it should be fine .

also the sec told me to ring them back tomorrow morning for some reason i don't know ?. may be it's to go in and pic up Poppy who knows ?:?

any way I will try to keep you all informed on my Rabbits progress. and I will try to take a pic of her in her out fit. when I hopefuly get her back poss tomorrow (Sat).:) (cross fingers or bunny fingers). :)

see you by for now!!

-

JUST A QUICK NOTE!!.

my mum thinks if she had not had a pain relife injection in which she was given again on Monday this week. she thinks poppy would not of picked at her stiches again because of feeling the pain .

the vets last friday gave her a pain relife injection to take away the pain after her op. but then they gave her another 1 on this weeks Monday.

and my mum thought Poppy would not of picked at her stiches if she felt her wound was hurting by her self picking at it.

i think the same as my mum. in that i think the pain relife injection may of stopted her being in pain. but it made her pic at her stiches more than once .
because she was no longer feeling the pain of her wound any more inside.
and because of this that's why Poppy has not stoped picking at her stiches .

it's like it's in her head now to pick at the stiches until some vet stops her which a vet has done by puting a bandage round her middle to cover the wound up.

if poppy did not have this second dose of pain killer in her she would of left the stiching alone i think and my mum thinks the same.

any way i for got to add this part about the pain killer injection. on my first report of poppy's progress.
sorry . :oops: :)

see you all soon with more news on the progress. ;) :)
and poss a pic of her in this sorry state she's in.:) :(

I don't think the pain killer makes much difference. Phoebe and Dexter both pulled out their stitches long after the pain killer would have worn off. I wouldn't worry too much about what caused her to do it. Most rabbits do it, its just unlucky that the vets restitched her instead of stapling her or using glue or internal stitches.
All that matters now is getting her well enough to come home. You must be missing her lots. Sending lots of healing vibes for Poppy :D

Back